Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Speed Cameras' hidden agenda

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Ktulu, Jan 4, 2007.

1. This article from SMH this morning, FYI.

But it seems my copy/paste function is broken, so I've had to completely type this out for you guys!
    The advantage of this though, is that it has allowed me to add in some additional information that you might not otherwise be given in the article.

Wow! Technology, eh?

I have placed the additions to the article in bold, to avoid confuzzlement.

SPEEDING fines have dropped by more than 200,000 in NSW over the past three years, but experts have raised questions about whether drivers are getting the message or just outsmarting cameras, because a combination of the two would be impossible... we think... our research suggests... quick! look over there!

The figures, obtained under freedom-of-information legislation, prompted lobbyists, fun-wreckers, closet homosexuals, and filthy, filthy communists to call on NSW to follow Victoria and introduce the fear of hidden cameras, with research showing they are a better deterrent to speeding, without the undesirable side-effects of increased road awareness or decreased state revenue.

Between 2003-04 and 2005-06 (financial years; you'll notice) the number of fines generated by all forms of camera - police radar, LIDAR (light radar), Predator infra-red vision, fixed cameras, and vehicle-mounted cameras - dropped from 847,348 to 627,139.

The biggest drop was among fixed cameras, co-operated by the Roads & Traffic Authority and Satan, which fell by 190,408 to 350,574 over the period, indicating a sharp rise in people actually noticing a great big giant REFLECTIVE ****ing sign next to the road, and outside their immediate field of vision (almost like in a blind spot!). The number caught by sneaky, sneaky police vehicle-mounted cameras grew from 43,003 to 63,378.

Police radar and LIDAR snared more high-range offenders: more than 1.2 per cent of their offenders were driving more than 45kmh over the limit, compared with fewer than 0.07 per cent of those caught by cameras. The Pedestrian Council figures however, still show 100% of those caught, still remain in the "Human Scum/Should-Have-Been-Drowned-At-Birth-IMHO" category.

NSW advertises speed cameras at sites known for accidents or speeding so drivers slow down, but has almost no cameras in school-zones. Victoria uses covert cameras, which are designed to make motorists wary of speeding all the time, paying more attention to their speedometer than their windscreen.

Max Cameron, principal research fellow at Monash University's Accident Research Centre For The Bleedingly Frigging Obvious, said drivers tended to learn where fixed cameras were located and slow down especially. Yah, really.

"That's one explanation for the fewer high-end speeders [caught by fixed or mounted vehicle speed cameras]," said Dr Cameron, who is a supporter of covert cameras after years of research, and drives a 1989 Hyndai Excel that's lost compression in 1 cylinder and has scratches on it's two, left hubcaps.

"The fundamental thing about the covert cameras is there's a fear of being caught anywhere at any time … No state has been able to demonstrate the same success of Victoria."

The chairman of the Pedestrian Council of Australia, Harold Scruby, who obtained the data, said there was a term for the phenomenon of drivers slowing down at cameras: "site learning". Which apparently refers to the operators of automobiles being aware of the area they are in, and adjusting their driving to avoid unnecessary costs. Clearly something to be stamped out with covert cameras... or piano wire. Mr Scruby isn't fussy.

He called for NSW to follow Victoria's lead. "People know where the cameras are," he said. "They're only slowing down there. We need one generic sign - 'speed and red light cameras used through the state' - but not show where they are. This would have the added benefit of costing a fortune AND then being totally obsolete if GPS tracking for all registered vehicles is implemented - which I'm also screaming my medium-sized, and only mildly sweaty, man-tits off for."

A Queensland study has shown overt cameras were effective in reducing speeds, but only for a relatively short distance. The official document specifically reported the cameras were "Very effective" over "Distances that match the perceived range of the camera" and also "Go Broncos!".

The former head of the Australasian College of Road Safety, which isn't even a university... isn't even totally in Australia, Professor Raphael Grzebieta, supports hidden cameras and disciplining children with a closed fist, saying they are an "essential component of the enforcement required to get people to slow down".

However, the NSW Police Traffic Services Commander, John Hartley, said that the drop in speeding fines showed motorists were getting the message about speeding.

"More and more of these bastards are conforming to law," he said.

"This last Christmas period confirmed that. Less speeding offences were detected, but there was an increase in a number of other offences, such as a huge increase in random breath tests and sales of mixed kebabs with BBQ sauce."

"It's all thanks to the Speed Blitz Blues. Thank God the young people respect those guys enough to take their advice. Personally, I love them. Just the other day I was telling my wife we should have them all over for dinner, dessert, cover them in virgin olive oil and have a swingers party in our hot-tub."

The highly respected, and incredibly handsome Roads Minister, Sir Eric Roozendaal, said that fixed speed cameras in NSW were well signposted and there were no plans to change the policy, or for him to return to the Mr Universe competition. "Speed cameras save lives - they are there to slow people down and punish those who aren't paying attention on our roads".
  2. Hahahaha love the sarcasm :p
  3. Sarcasm....What Sarcasm???? :LOL:
  4. hehehe

very good...! :grin: u should email that to them... or some news paper...
  5. really appreciate your efforts.
    allows us to read the article with a chuckle :LOL: at key points
    where we would otherwise be cringing.

which conforms to my opinion of the only two factors that govern road behaviour, Fear and Stupidity.
    the degree to which Fear does not exist, is substituted by Stupidity.
    (helps to understand why cars willingly pull out into the path of a bike)
  6. Great post!

I hope I never see mandatory gps speed tracking implemented in my time. I'd have to give up bikes to keep my license, and cars for that matter. But given that everyone (Yes, I said it!) speeds, no one would have a license after 1 week!
  7. Not only do these cameras allow state revenue to be maintained, but when used in conjunction with fixed cameras actually increase profits. One person driving around looking exclusively at his speedo (in line with Victorian government policy), completey unaware of the driver in front braking hard for a known fixed camera results in a highly profitable rear ender. With a bit of luck, although both vehicals may avoid speeding fines, one recieves a fine for careless driving and if he hits hard enough, the other car gets pushed over the line and scores a red light ticket. :grin:

On top of this bounty, if the accident is sucessful enough to cause an injury the TAC pays for the medical costs (thus saving the government from funding hospitals) and then they get to justify massive increases in premiums. It's win-win> :grin:
  8. Don't forget the GST on repairs and replacements of vehicles. ;)
  9. Would like to have read your post but couldn't get past the second line of BS in bold. Way to go.

F%^&ing Harlod Scruby again! :evil: :evil: How about new cameras to fine pedestrians who ignore don't walk signals thereby placing themselves and others at risk. I almost collected one of these idiots yesterday when they tried to run across a busy intersection in the city against a green. The pedestrian went BETWEEN me and a mini-van after I swerved. :shock:

I've said it before that speed enforcement using fixed and notified cameras is a waste of time. They reckon they are placed in black spots but I know that this isn't always the case. Look at the camera near Cumberland Highway on the M4.

If they are going to use these things then they need to be unannounced and hidden. That will be a greater deterrent across all roads at all times than just hoping you don't hit a cop car on radar/LIDAR patrol. This is what they do in South Oz and Victoria and in that sense the article is correct, they are much more effective. Many may say they are only effective at raising revenue, but if you are getting booked more because you can't see it coming, you are losing more points and eventually you will either slow down or lose your licence. That is how the system is supposed to work.

And I have to throw it in for good measure....if you don't speed, you won;t get booked. Oh, and if you do speed then you have no right to whinge - do the crime, pay the fine.
  10. lol looove that article man :grin: particulary the hyundai remark :LOL:
  11. I want to have your babies, Chris.

At least then the little fcukers would turn out to be normal size.
  12. I genuinely LOLed :LOL:

You're so funneh, Scrambles

13. Thanks bro.

I treasure your freindship...*sniff*
  14. Ktulu, a work of sheer pisstaking genius.

Please tell me this was written tongue in cheek...... please...

Speed doesn't kill people, crashing into s#@t kills people.
  15. Yeah.... same argument goes for throwing yourself off a building. Reaching terminal velocity won't kill you but hitting the ground at the end will. Still doesn't deny the fact that doing something potentially dangerous(eg. jumping off a building) will have the end result of killing you. The only difference between jumping off a building and speeding is that surety of death when jumping off a building is pretty good. Less so when speeding. Like I said...it is all about risk management.
  16. If going fast wasn't fun no one would do it.......

Jumping off buildings (unless you're wearing a chute) isn't fun.....

When the cops start putting the same amount of resources into preventing all of the other causes of road trauma (driver inattention, people driving s#@tboxes, there's road rules?...), I'll stop thinking it's blatant revenue raising.

Think about that the next time you're being booked for doing three k's over the 50km/h limit, while going down a steep hill.
  17. Moreover, think about that next time you rear-end someone while watching your speedo. :roll:

As Frenzy said, speeding is the main focus of our road safety campaigns, yet it is the least problematic in terms of the danger it creates. It's just a cop out and a good way to make money.
  18. And there's a follow up article this morning! Awesome!
    As before, all additional information pulled from my ass...

...istant special investigative reporter! -is in bold.

Cameras won't be hidden despite fall in speed fines

THE State Government and the Opposition say they have no evil plans to introduce hidden speed cameras similar to those operating in Soviet Victoria despite evidence they can detect more speeding motorists and raise contributions to government superannuation slush funds.

In a saucy strip-tease of unreferenced statistics and misinformation, the Herald revealed yesterday that speeding fines had dropped by 220,000 in NSW over the past three years, mostly because of a big unspecified drop in the number of offences picked up by Roads and Traffic Authority static speed cameras.

The ****ing annoying, non-rego paying, useless hippy Pedestrian Council of Australia, which obtained the figures and still refuses to get either a hair-cut OR a real job, has called for hidden speed cameras, larger fines, and nude picture of Kim Beazley, saying motorists are learning where cameras are and slowing down only in those spots, - also not throwing paper while the teacher is looking.

However, with an election approaching, few politicians are keen to go against what the popular majority of tax-paying, voting, Australian citizens want (in this great place we call a democracy) and endorse hidden cameras as a way of trying to reduce road accidents.

The Opposition transport spokeswoman, Gladys Berejiklian, who is still recovering from a broken nail after falling off her Segue late last year, said the answer to better road safety lay in the Opposition's promise to recruit an extra 300 highway patrol police officers, and give them those cool harpoon taser thingys like in Too Fast Too Furious. "Speed cameras have their place, but I love Vin Diesel and there is no substitute for police vehicles on the streets, just take a drive through the CBD or even try to get on the F3 of a Saturday morning! If there's one thing we need: it's more cars on the road." Ms Berejiklian said.

He's not even in that movie, ...biatch.

The Minister for Roads, Lord Eric Roozendaal, said motorists were given fair warning about all fixed speed cameras in NSW, and challenged the Opposition minister to a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos.

"There are no plans to change this policy, or go ahead with my proposed penile reduction surgery. The latest independent research shows a 90 per cent drop in fatalities where fixed speed cameras have been installed and a 20 per cent reduction in injury crashes: ...I've got your statistics riiiight here, Scruby.

"I would be happy if my wife was a little more adventurous and if we didn't raise a cent from speed cameras if that meant people were driving within the law and at speed limit."

He incorrectly said speeding accounted for 40 per cent of road deaths but "most motorists do the right thing" as "75 per cent of drivers haven't had any demerit points over the past three years".
  19. Ktulu, :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :shock: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

What Tenoq said +1
  20. I find gegvasco's comments interesting. In another thread he had 3 near misses in a very short time (an hour or so?). In 2 of them he was riding in a bus lane (legal in NSW?) and the other a bus nearly took him out. None were remotely related to speeding.

In most western countries, the true cause of accidents has speeding (or more correctly, inappropriate speed) as <10% as the cause of all accidents.

Whilst I agree with the general premise that the fear of being caught should also play a role in placement of speed camera's, to assume that all speed limits are correct or appropriate is folly. And to have the camera tolerances so low that to inadvertently exceed the posted limit by a few k's will have you >$100 poorer and at least 1 demerit point less.

As I have mentioned in several other threads (emoticon required for sounding like a scratched record), the vast majority of accidents are caused by people who are travelling at the posted limit, sober and awake.

And therein lies the problem. Most accidents are caused by a moments inattention, a reckless act or because someone does not have the skills required to handle their vehicle. But how do you police that? You can talk about increased driver training, re-sitting exams (and how many of us would easily pass? With years of bad habits?), but how do you factor out the accidents that are caused by a lapse of judgement?

The problem with the road safety lobby is that it is all about enforcement. And if you don't have any other tool in your kit, it leaves you with speeding, drinking and drugs as your only effective road safety initiatives. With state budgets busting at the seams but thousands of competing causes, creating safer roads, removing road side furniture, providing access to advanced handling and risk awareness courses is low on the list of priorities.

And of course, for every reduction in the yearly number of road deaths you (as a politician) can take credit for every life saved. But when the number increases, you blame speeding motorists. To hell with the facts that with long dry spells and increased car safety that the numbers would go down anyway.