Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Speed cameras, etc - editorial in today's Australian

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Gromit, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Here's the link (you'll need to scroll down):

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,18774585-7583,00.html

2. IS THERE AN ELECTION LOOMING :roll: :roll: :roll:

3. As an inner-city dweller I would like to stress I am infuriated rather than placated by 'anti-car rhetoric'. I am fully in favour of shooting down all speed cameras, levelling 99% of speed humps and removing about 90% of inner-city roundabouts! As for open roads, I think speed limit should be increased to at least 120km/h - the best way of keeping drivers awake on long cross-country trips is to reduce the duration of the trip.

4. Bloody Hell if they raise speed limits and abolish camera's I won't be able to claim I break the law every day?
    I mean I may become legitimate?
    Me?
    Shocking news, just shocking.

5. What's this bloke doing working at a newspaper? Too much common sense.

6. HAHAHAHA :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

7. And predictably, John Thwaites, our acting premier, said that deaths would increase when Robert Doyle said he'd make speed camera locations known and raise the tolerance back to 10% rather than the current 3km/h.

Man, I didn't see that comment coming. Right out of left field. :shock:

8. ok lets see camera hidden?
    check!
    behind the bridge?
    check!
    squad car hidden behind that tree?
    check!
    instead of chasing down crooks?
    check!

ok... let the time wasting and the money making begin!

9. If they change the emphasis from camera enforcement to in-person enforcement, then I am all for it. At least then some other offences can also be enforced such as tailgating and unsafe lane changes - both things which put riders in jeopardy all the time.

And getting a fine 3 weeks later is a waste of time. All it does is raise money. Whereas to change attitudes you need to actually impress upon people what they are doing wrong. If a dog shits in the house you don't just yell at it 3 hours later and kick it out because it won't know why it is in trouble. You rub it's nose in the shit and then yell at it and kick it out. That way they remember what was it was that they did that was wrong.

10. The only country that has as bad camera placement as here is the UK. But then again, they purposely DON'T put them on motorways because they increase accidents (people suddenly stopping). In Europe the ones I saw were on dangerous corners, at the entrance to a town where limit changes from 100 -> 50, entrances and exits of tunnels, and sometimes on long straight metro roads with sidestreets.

I think it is fair to say that the Victorian ones are the worst. Western Ring Road, three locations behind signs, two behind bridges. Yeah, that's for safety...

Also, motorway speeds...
    Germany - No limit unless advertised, 100 in the wet. When its marked or wet, Germans really do take their laws seriously. Hell, they can make up the time later...
    France - 130/90 (Dry/Wet) but everyone does 150
    Switzerland - 120, but everyone does 140
    UK - 112, but everyone does 130
    Austalia - 110, and most people do just that.

I like the French idea.

11. spot on danb.

Why we haven't looked at wet/dry speed limits before blanket cameras I don't know.

100kph (go over = kill small children and passengers) is a joke, and complete contradiction in terms: how can a speed that is deemed safe in teeming rain result in certain death in dry grippy conditions.

I'd advocate a 90/120 (or something close) speed limit. The problem is, who decides the definition of 'wet'... - would need variable speed signs or something similar. TOO HARD! Let's just put up cameras that the providers are offering to install for free in exchange for a slice of the revenue. :roll:

12. Oh, that's simple. Everyone in Europe speeds, but only by a certain %age.

If its dry, I can do 150 on the motorway in France and not get busted. I will will however probably get done at 160 (because johnny IS out there on the motorway), and I will get a 200e on-the-spot fine. You can pay by credit card if you dont have enough cash :roll:

If its wet, I can still do 150, but if I get done and the nice French Policeman thinks it's wet, I get a freaking huge fine, banned from driving, and have to leave my car/bike at the local cop shop. So when it's wet, or could be considered wet, I will do 100-110 max. When it's raining to pouring, I will do whatever I feel is safe up to 100. I those really shocking downpours, I pull over and park under a bridge :) They only last 10 mins, and I have seen some pretty serious accidents in that kind of weather.

13. Glad I'm not most people, I'd hate to be ordinary. :cool:

14. Have a listen to the early morning shows, say, ABC or MMM when they do their road reports. After a dry spell, it's raining. Guess what; dozens of reported crashes all over Melbourne/Sydney, etc..

People prove, time and again, that they lack the discipline and plain common sense to take it easy and to drive to the conditions.

How many of us see people ploughing through the fog at or above the limit, often with no lights on (as opposed to the turkeys who run with those fog lights in any weather)? If variable weather limits were introduced here, what level of compliance do you think we'd have?

Thing is, because of our largely temperate climate, where we don't see the extremes of weather that Europe may experience, Australian drivers don't have the experience or expertise to drive in such conditions. Most of us would be knackered if suddenly we had to start dealing with ice and snow on a daily basis.

It must be interesting watching the traffic in the snowfields during winter, particularly when you see people fit snow chains to the rear wheels of their front drive cars...

15. What a lot of people (inc myself) have been telling papers/pollies for a very long time.

:applause: to this editorial, now hopefully the trend of "journalism" (sic) in Oz will continue, and other "journalists" and "current affairs" (sic) media will do the usual and just follow the leader and take up this thread.

Only then will vote hungry self centred maggots (aka politicians) start getting their beaurocrats to produce the stats that will back this editorial up. Instead of the stats they request now.

Well.... we can only hope, and also hope the pendulum doesn't swing too far the other way :eek:hno:

JJ

16. It's not that people don't have the discipliene to slow down in the wet, it's that a: they're not educated about it when getting their licence, and b: they're told that if you're under the speed limit you're safe. So long as you're not at fault and you have an accident, it's all good because insurance has got you covered and our big safe cars let us get away with it half the time.

17. I don't know about crash statistics, but here in Brisbane, I've noticed that people will slow down to the limit, even if it's fairly light rain. Heavier rain does seem to bring a corresponding reduction in speed.

/Tangent.

18. Still people don’t realise road conditions change because of weather and or other influences. I see people having crashes at low low speeds on water, ice and oil as I pass them on my bike... I'm no safer from these factors than they are but I'm not the one having the crashes.

People despite years of being told what to do don’t compensate accordingly. education is the key... after my advanced course the driving knock on effect was dramatic especially when I taught my girl. Instead of "floating" around not focusing on the task we both have learned to anticipate, adjust and assess the risks...

If there was a common sense 3 strikes road initiative that made drives that have had more than 3 speeding tickets and or three reckless driving / similar offences sit through an advanced driver course. I would be voting for the person who instigated it especially if it was funded by a % of speeding tickets.

... hell I was nearly run over on the footpath this morning because a guy was "blinded"? by the sun pulling into a driveway... That guy wasn't looking or even thinking further than his bonnet. If this guy in his 40's had a bit more "experence" then he probably wouldn't have tried to turned me into a hood ornament...