Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Speed Camera Lottery in Sweden

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by smileedude, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Re: Speed Camera Lottery in Sweeden

This is a brilliant idea - it's a shame the people that 'run' our country will probably never realise how effective this method is for not only speeding, but many other areas of law enforcement.
  2. 25 km/h???? And speeding at 32??

We have some distance to fall yet.
  3. Thats average speed, if 25 is the speed limit than roughly half the traffic going through would get booked. Road average speeds are generally a lot lower then speed limits so I would say that the speed limit would be more like 35 or 40.
  4. I wonder how much traffic has increased - people "entering" the lottery.
  5. Pro tip: If a large amount of people "speed" through an area, and there aren't accidents resulting from it, the speed limit is too low.
  6. this is an excellent idea!
  7. Im interested in the connect 4 on the side of beer cartons....
  8. And if I ride a motorcycle incident free every day for a year without wearing my draggins or a helmet, then they obviously aren't all that necessary.

While I do agree with your point in general, the concept of prevention being better than a cure still holds true.
  9. Wow..actual forward thinking! unlike ahem here, should move there.
  10. I wonder how many people go around the block over and over to get more entries.
  11. The thing is that a single person can be called an outlier, whereas a majority is more reliable.
  12. Ok then, given your theory on speed vs incident, lets say we start raising the speed limits in areas where it applies. How many fatalities would be acceptable before putting a cap on the speed limit?

Like I said, I do agree with the point in general, but I don't think it's as simple as 'No accidents = limit is too low'.
  13. nup. read the article. It was an average speed through a school zone. Not the average speed of the whole trip. The school zone shouldn't be more than 200 metres.
    Alternatively, the speed limit is low enough.
  14. THat's not what I said. I said if a majority (or really, any large enough contingent of a population) ignore the limit with no ill effect, then the limit is clearly too low.