Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Speed camera dilemma

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by lemontree, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hey folks,

I'm asking for some advice/opinion here regarding a situation I experienced last night.

So I am cruising down Parramatta Rd (Sydney) in Camperdown. For those who are familiar with this stretch of road, it is a downhill descent coming out from the city. At the bottom of the descent, there is a major intersection where a speed camera is installed.

It is not uncommon to see drivers speed pass the 60km/h limit down this road. So what happened was I am cruising just below 60km/h 200 meters before the lights when I noticed a black coupe behind approaching pretty fast. It was only until meters from the lights I realized he is doing well over 60km/h. By the time he caught up to me, my motorcycle and his car were parallel to one another passing the intersection and next thing I know I saw something flash.

My concern is, does the speed camera distinguish which vehicle has gone over the speed limit when the sensor is triggered, given two vehicles are parallel to one another?

Just after the lights flashed I pulled over somewhere and took down the drivers number plate in case for future reference.

Appreciate any comments!

Cheers

2. there should have been two pictures taken and the second will show his car ahead of your's, indicating that he was going faster than you were

if you definitely were doing the limit, then it was his speed that set off the camera

3. Yes. You will be fine. Unless you were speeding or ran the red light.

4. They're supposed to know which lane was triggered

If you do get a ticket, make sure you ask for a copy of the full photo - your ticket would only have a cropped photo showing your vehicle.
    The whole photo would show 2 vehicles in shot
    and you can then contest it and point out that you weren't the one speeding.

5. Photo will indicate which lane was detected, you'll be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The sensors on the ground record the speed. Then the picture is taken knowing which lane was speeding. Do you mean west st around leichardt? I reckon ive seen this one flash more than all the other ones combined. And its only been running a year.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I assume you're referring to this intersection.

Yes. You should be fine. A very similar incident occurred some months ago at the very spot, and it left me worried for some time. In the end, nothing came of it.

In any case, good on you for noting down the speeding vehicle's registration.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wait untill you get the letter in the mail. they usualy don't send it out if there's any ambiguity as to who's at fault.

• Like Like x 1
  9. yes I meant Parramatta and West St. Thanks for your helpful comments, they've cleared my concern :)

Yeh I don't know how people can still step on the gas on a downhill road, not to mention several signs indicating a speed camera ahead. /sigh

cheers

10. Usualy I would agree but I think that one only has one sign saying safety camera. If you don't know it's there it is real easy to miss.

11. +1, certainly in Vic it is the sensors on both sides of the intersection that detect the speed through the intersection and trigger the camera for speeding.

12. [Yeh I don't know how people can still step on the gas on a downhill road, not to mention several signs indicating a speed camera ahead. /sigh

cheers[/QUOTE]

Been done myself for 85 in a 60 zone in the car on a steep hill in Briar Hill. Fortunately with the windback of 3kms only got 3 demerit points and $243 fine, one extra km and would have lost licence for 3 months. Wasn't a fixed camera, got done by cop with radar in car.

I wasn't speeding by intention, car was just picking up speed as I was coming down hill and hadn't bothered to change to lower gear. Didn't bother with arguing with where he was positioned (at bottom of steep hill), couldn't argue with fact I was speeding so just took my wack. First speeding fine ever!!!

13. Been done myself for 85 in a 60 zone in the car on a steep hill in Briar Hill. Fortunately with the windback of 3kms only got 3 demerit points and $243 fine, one extra km and would have lost licence for 3 months. Wasn't a fixed camera, got done by cop with radar in car.

I wasn't speeding by intention, car was just picking up speed as I was coming down hill and hadn't bothered to change to lower gear. Didn't bother with arguing with where he was positioned (at bottom of steep hill), couldn't argue with fact I was speeding so just took my wack. First speeding fine ever!!![/QUOTE]

They're not supposed to do that.
    Their own guidelines for radar specifically say that they're not to use them at the bottom of steep hills.
    (Unless it's changed in the last few years)
    Did you check with a lawyer?

14. #14 joetdm, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    this is pretty much how they all work...

Sensors of the road at intersections are close to one another and most camera's will be working at traffic in one direction only although they'll have camera warnings come from all directions at an intersection.
    they can use cameras on both sids of the road if they want.

Mobile/overhead cameras work with a beam which the video also explains.

[URL="]
    [/URL]

15. same thing happened to myself about 4 months ago at MIRANDA NSW and never seen a fine yet

16. Has there been a thread before where everyone states how many days between being flashed and getting a ticket? I would love to know because I've had similar circumstances. Playing the waiting game is never fun, it would be nice to know when you are safe.

17. They're not supposed to do that.
    Their own guidelines for radar specifically say that they're not to use them at the bottom of steep hills.
    (Unless it's changed in the last few years)
    Did you check with a lawyer?[/QUOTE]

I know a couple, so yeah informally. If it had meant losing my licence even for 3 months I would have, but other more pressing issues were going on at the time, so paid up instead.

In 30+ years of driving only had 4 demerit points. The other one was for not stopping at a stop sign. It was decades ago at the big roundabout near Flemington Racecourse, I slowed down but didn't actually come to a full stop. Roundabout was completely empty and never noticed the sign as it's hidden by the Pub until you are almost on top of it.

18. I would be interested too. I was thinking of calling the SDRO to check but there are some instances where your records are inadvertenly 'lost' until you bother them with your license/rego haha