Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Speed Camera Bungle

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by mjt57, Aug 25, 2005.

1. http://snipurl.com/h7d2

it's a Herald-Sun article about speed camera being set wrong. People fined doing 88 km/h in a 90 km/h zone.

There is also a related article regarding the speed camera tolerances in practice, rather than in regulations. Different levels for different speed limits. H-S won't release the figures "due to road safety reasons".

I'm tempted to ask them to list those reasons and the rationale behind them.
    (it's one of my pet hates when organisations won't release information based on xxxxx reasons, where xxxx is the org's favorite buck dodging reason)
  2. "due to road safety reasons" that boils my blood. What are they? On what basis do they assume that people knowing camera's tolerances and going over the limit will cause accidents? The same argument raged when radio stations started telling people about speed camera locations - safetycrats argued it would cost lives if people didn't get a fine. Very poor journalistic decisions; clouded by decades of TAC advertisment indoctrination, and with no scientific basis.