Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Speed Camera Audit

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by grange, Jun 2, 2011.

1. ALMOST $350 million has been reaped from speed cameras in NSW over the past five years, new figures show.

Two cameras on Cleveland Street in Moore Park were the highest-earners in the state, generating $20 million.

A camera on the Great Western Highway at Parramatta raised more than $7 million, followed by the Hume Highway at Bankstown with almost $6.5 million.

Next was the camera on King Georges Road at Beverly Hills (southbound) with almost $6 million, then the M2 Motorway at North Epping (westbound) with $5.8 million, and the Princes Highway at Kogarah (southbound) with $5.7 million.

The Roads Minister, Duncan Gay, suggested yesterday the former Labor government had used the devices as revenue raisers.

''The public has long expressed concern to us that under the former state Labor government some of these cameras had become cash cows and were simply there to generate revenue, instead of being used to improve road safety,'' he said in a statement.

The figures are from a speed camera audit being done by the Auditor-General, Peter Achterstraat.

It has found that from 2005-06 to 2010-11, more than $347 million was generated from fixed speed, mobile speed and safety cameras. The audit, due next month, will look at the six mobile, 60 safety or red light cameras and 172 fixed cameras used in NSW.

The Auditor-General has received more than 1700 online survey responses and 100 submissions on speed cameras.

The government has promised to rip out cameras found to have no effect on road safety.

2. They're obviously not trying: Victoria gets that every year!
  3. i would be very suprised if the Libs do much at all, isn't there a whole bunch more mobile camera cars on order already, which not having the numerous warning signs prior to them can reap a lot more money.

My bet is they will do something symbolic like remove a few fixed cameras that everyone knows about anyway and are well signposted, and continue with the mobile cameras which make more money under the anywhere anytime mantra, and make a lot more money.

I'm a cynic but believe i will be proved right, the safety industry and the mountains of revenue are just to powerful a lobbying force
  4. The cameras on Cleveland St are bullshit, but won't be removed because it's in a school zone (where I went to school, coincidentally). When they installed them they also dropped the speed limit from 60 to 50, even though it's a wide road and there aren't any houses on either side of the road.
  5. You forgot to mention there are now two or three more cameras a hundred metres down the road at south dowling st intersection, not to metion another set at south dowling, fitzroy and anzac pde double intersection.

Those, err... "safety" cameras are popping up everywhere...
  6. Also one where on Anzac Parade where Cleveland meets Anzac heading south near the bus lane.
  7. damn, I forgot about that one, southbound only right? saw it go off the other day, car in the second lane was flying. However the bus in the first lane wasn't. :LOL:
  8. Only 100% on southbound, I don't know if I imagined it but it looked like they were installing one the opposite way too, but still only affecting people on Anzac. Honestly there are so many now I lose track.
  9. hmm

That is not particularly good news if RTA press on with the 200+ safety camera sites within NSW *cough*only Sydney*cough*
  10. It's gonna start getting really hard to remember which ones are facing me and which I need to slow down for.. I also realised on most multi-lane roads you can quite easily ride in between the sensors of adjacent lanes, if traffic allows it. Anyway, bed time I think
  11. This show may help with learning some of the locations:

Eye opening.
  12. The terms of the inquiry will be based around if they have safety merit. Even if they are largely revenue raisers, the safety argument is easily made because people are so brain washed.

So the end result of this will be they will stay in place. There is no way this government is going to give up a revenue stream.
  13. ^ absolultely ibast - there is no way there will be a reduction, locations of cameras may change but essentially the revenue stream will remain the same (if not increase). This is all just talk saftey and revenue raising essentially mean the same thing according to gov't.

@crayola - SBHS? I finished there in '92, how about you?