Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Speed Camera Advice [VIC]

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by crusey, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Hello Folks,

I was following a mate home tonight (he was in a falcon station wagon) and we both passed an unmarked police car / camera.

I was about 10m behind him and we were both travelling 10 or so over and the camera flashed.

I'm guessing we may both be in the picture.

Do I have a chance of getting off as I guess it was his car that triggered the snap.

2. have u ever had any fines before or in the last 10 years?? usualy if u write them a nice pleading letter they will let u off, i did this for my mum and it worked..
  3. I'm fairly certain if there are 2 cars/vehicles in the photo the fine isn't sent out at all.

If you get it go and check it out, if you see another car, say you weren't speeding that other guy was... the end.

If you do get it.. do what the guy above said.

Hope all goes well
  4. isnt there a website where u can look at the photo when u get the fine. i read it somewhere before, cant remember what the site was.
  5. yep thats correct but i'd assume that you'd need the notification number that you type in and the picture will be provided? please correct me if im wrong i looked at the website a fairwhile ago
  6. Incorrect, and wrong advice.
    All stationery speed camera's (on pole's or in vehicles) are aligned with a piece of 'road furniture' (power pole, tree, letter box, road sign, etc.) on the other side of the road at an approx. 45 degree's from the camera. When a vehicle crosses that line is speeding, the photo is taken. Unless you were both side by side at an angle of ~45 degree's and it's very hard to tell which vehicle was crossing the line, it is easy to identify which vehicle triggered the speed camera.
  7. Thanks for the replies folks

Do you know how quickly the cameras can reset and snap again ?

8. If you meet this criteria you might get an official warning.

"You can apply for an official warning if you:
    Hold a current driver's licence, including probationary, or current learner driver's permit.
    Have not been issued with a speeding, other traffic fine or official warning within the previous two years.
    Were caught doing less than 10 kilometres per hour over the speed limit.
    Do not deny that you committed the offence."

Link to Official Warning.
  9. They can shoot obscene amounts of frames so almost instant.
  10. It still stands that you can challenge if there is more than one vehicle in the frame.
  11. Update for anyone that is interested

Mate recieved his ticket in the mail on Monday (got him at 68 in a 60 zone)

I havent recieved anything yet, may have been lucky