Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Special E10 94 in 659 is ok?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Kamal Krishna, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Hi Guys,
    Just bought 659 three days back.
    I Filled my tank with Special E10 94 at Seven Eleven, when i went to pay inside, the cashier said that's not good for your bike!!

I am worried please tell me will that damage by bike?? i will empty it right now.

and which fuel should i go with ideally. Thank you!!!

2. I can only tell you what my highly trusted mechanic, with a V8 car, Hi-Ace van and a Speed Triple bike told me: he doesn't use e10 in any of his vehicles, and recommends his customers follow his example.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mate just look in your bike manual and it should give you the recommended minimum fuel grade to use.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. I assume you are talking about Ducati Monster 659.

AS above - please have a read of the manual and use the type of fuel as recommended by the manufacturer.

and BTW - Welcome to NR!

5. Welcome to Netrider. Depending on what grade of fuel is specified for your bike. One tank will probably not do any harm. Many bikes are not designed to run on E10 as the ethanol in the fuel is very corrosive. But in the short term, it won't damage your bike. There are some places where all grades of fuel are an E10 blend, even when buying 98 or 100 octane.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. I wouldn't make a habit of it and elect to use premium or 91 if not avaliable.
    Their shouldn't be any damage from one tank, if you hear detontation back the throttle off...also be aware fuel consumption will be higher on E10.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I don't think he's coming back to NR to check the replies.

:D

8. Thank you guys, thats a relief.

I did check the manual after posting this.

Warning
    The vehicle is only compatible with fuel having
    a maximum content of ethanol of 10% (E10).
    Using fuel with ethanol content over 10% is
    forbidden. Using it could result in severe damage of
    the engine and motorcycle components. Using fuel
    with ethanol content over 10% will make the
    warranty null and void.

So iam safe for now, but wont go back to E10 ever.
    Thank you guys!

9. i have the same bike and the manual clearly states to only use 95 RON or higher. My manual does not say it is ok to use E10 anywhere. mine in 2013 model.

i wouldnt panic about it, but defiantly don't do it again, ya naughty bugger!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. According to that information from your manual you are fine running the bike on E10, it won't hurt it a bit. Australia's E10 is only up to 10% Ethanol. You will probably get better performance and economy from 95 or 98 octane fuel, but the E10 won't harm your bike at all.

• Like Like x 1
  11. It wont go bang but Ethanol still absorbs water and attacks to some degree rubber components which is not a great thing if your not regularly cycling the fuel.
    If you priced it out for $/km you would probably find premium works out very similar to discount ethanol once you factor in economy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Honestly. To fill your bikes tank up compared to even a small 4cyl car it doesnt cost much. I run 98 in my fz6s all the time as its a more premium blend of unleaded and it wont do any harm to the engine. Where as e10 isn't the best type of fuels. Specially if you were to leave it sit in your bikes tank without riding it. I heard that e10 can seperate into its basic elements and when you start your bike you could end up just shooting water through to the engine which isnt good. Personally I wouldn't touch the fuel.

13. That doesn't make a lot of sense, it's basic components are petrol and ethanol (unless you want to go down to molecular level).
    In fact it is sometimes recommended to add a small amount of alcohol to a petrol tank to absorb any water which may have got there dues to contaminated fuel or condensation. Water is miscible in alcohol and alcohol is miscible in petrol, so a small amount of water can be absorbed and removed as the fuel is used.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sorry it didn't probaly make too much sense. I just feel that motorbikes are relatively cheap to run so paying extra for 98 will do a lot less potential harm that e10 would do. My first ride was a gsx250 and I would never dream of putting e10 in that.

15. Mine will take e10 according to the manual, although the 2010 model - same generation - won't, which I found strange...

I refuse to use it anyway, preferring 95RON over 98.

16. Articles like the one below always give me the heebie jeebies though. Higher % blends of ethanol are well reputed for corroding injectors if they aren't designed for it as well. It's just easier (for me anyway) to not even entertain the idea of using ethanol blends.

From Tech Article: The Ethanol Issue

17. why the fcuk would you buy the most expensive lams bike on the market and then quibble about a few cents of fuel??
    Put 98 ron and be done with it. crikey.

18. As an aside, I found that it's virtually impossible to buy fuel in the US that doesn't contain 10% ethanol (at a minimum).
    It's also nearly impossible to buy anything higher than 91RON, so it could be assumed that vehicles are tuned differently for that market. But I very much doubt that they are assembled with different materials. There isn't a lot of discussion about ethanol damage.
    However, vehicles are much more disposable there so long term damage may not be of great concern, and the affects on older models would not matter much.

19. Various countries use differing octane rating methods. Generally the U.S uses Anti-Knock Index (AKI), not RON or MON.

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Actually the manufacturers build their bikes in batches and for specific markets, they even build different spec bikes for California, Canada and the rest of the US. So some bikes will easily accept E10, while other's are recommended not to. One tank of E10 won't destroy your bike if you are caught out, but as soon as you get the chance, go back to the recommended fuel.

• Agree Agree x 1