Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Spark plug treachery, or am I just retarded?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by grue, Jun 10, 2010.

1. So I got some new spark plugs shipped to me for my bike, and upon reviewing the procedure for changing them, I noticed this picture in the tutorial:

from the service section of the manual:

The ass end of the plugs I bought don't look anything like that:

am I missing something here, or do I have the wrong spark plugs? They've got the right code on them, but I find it better to ask and be thought a fool rather than act and be proven one.
  2. ](*,) you need a special tool (supposedly in the kit on the bike)
  3. The illustration in the manual looks nothing like a plug wrench. It is a socket that slips down over the hexagonal metal part of the plug shown to the left of the ceramic bit in the pic you posted.
  4. Thanks, fellas. About what I expected… I'll need to acquire that tool.
  5. Probably not necessary. There are basically only 3 size of spark plug socket. You just might need to get the right length ratchet extension.
  6. Looking at the pickie you posted, that looks suspiciously like one of those 8mm sparkplugs. If I am correct, you will find that you require a (from memory) 13mm deep socket. Then you'll have to d!ck around finding the right size rubber tubing that will slip neatly inside the socket and not fall out, whilst providing just enough grip to hang onto the ceramic part of the plug. If I am correct, the plugs will be located just far enough down into the cam covers that you can't reach them with your fingertips. Thus requiring the setup mentioned above.
  7. magnet on a flexi stick. Didn't have one of these for years now I use it about every second time I work on a vehicle.

Still dropping plugs into the recess is always a worry, so the rubber insert in the plug socket is always the better way to go.

8mm? tube spanner?
  8. I read the title of this thread and thought to myself
    "Grue's problem is that his stroke is too short and he is experienecing premature ingnition"

9. You can get 'proper' plug sockets (with the insert) in this size from a real tool shop (as opposed to supercrap etc). I've bought 2 so far - because I thought I lost one, then it turned up again. Don't you hate that :facepalm:

10. Hmmm -for the 8mm plugs? I looked every where and couldn't come up with one that size. Only in Geelong mind you. And yes , I tried Qualitool :)
  11. I think I must be mis-interpreting your specs :-s

I've been trying to find my plug-code table to decipher that code on your plug to determine the hex-size, but to no avail. It *looks* like a normal 18mm plug, but I can't judge the scale - even against the nice Mac keyboard :wink: Which measurement is 8mm? Is that the allen head 'tool' you have pictured? If so,we're talking at cross-purposes. These plug spanners fit directly on the plug, and you might need a socket extension to get the reach to your plug. Measure the hex size (of the plug 'nut') in mm, and this will give you the socket size you need.

For reference, these are the ones I use, and they have an 18mm hex

got both these in Geelong. From Qualitool :wink:

12. The 8mm I am referring to is the size of the thread on the plug that screws into the head. Yep -they are a tiny little plug, reasonably hard to come by and a bit expensive. $25+ each the last time I bought a set of 4. As far as I know they are used in the VFR/RVF 400's and maybe in the CBR 250 if memory serves me correctly. I believe Kawasaki use them on the odd model as well.
    I think I have about 4 different sized spark plug sockets kicking around in my toolbox now. Ha ha ha ha. Both large and small sized imperial ones -13/16ths if my memory serves me correctly, buggered if I can remember the smaller one, an 18mm and now my home made 13mm.
    Of course, we may be discussing something totally irrelevant if the plug shown in the photo is just a standard Jap sized one. Which will now be odds on to happen. He he he.
  13. Couldn't you just use the spark plug lead to grab the spark plug once it's unscrewed?
  14. Yeah, but getting it out isn't as much of a problem as re-installing. The last thing you want to do after a routine plug change is strip the thread in the head because you cross-up the plug. I've seen it happen on the most accessible of plugs. You got to be able to make sure it's seated properly, and if you can't do it by hand, then you need a positive grip via the rubber inserts in all good plug spanners.

Roarin, it might be worth investing in the Honda 'special tool' pictured in the manual if you plan on doing this a lot. Heck, it can't cost more than one of your plugs at that price. That's more than an iridium for my bike, and I thought *they* were expensive :wink: