Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Spark plug gapping tool - where to get one????????!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by V4bloke, Dec 28, 2007.

1. I've been trying to chase down a spark plug gapping tool. I want the ones with the different guage wires (NOT feeler guages) as I reckon they are the most accurate. I'm talking about the round ones with the different guage wires around the outside.

But do you think I can find one! I can't find anyone who sells them anymore. People only sell feeler guages or ramp style (which I may be forced to go for)

Can anyone tell me where I can get one?? I've seen a few overseas, but surely someone in Oz sells them.

Any help appreciated :)

2. Try somewhere that sells parts for go-karts - people who race those tend to be very picky about minor things like plug gap (every extra little bit of hp helps when you're racing a control engine ;)). Aviation supply stores would probably have them to although might not be that cheap.

3. You will need to go to performance parts retailers..

Your common Bursons, Repco, Supercheap etc i doubt very much would have such things.

Do you have a performance shop near by ??

If you get stuck i can try a couple in Melb i know of who i am sure would have what you want..

Or if you want give Victorian Performance Warehouse in Epping, Victoria a call, i am sure they would have them..

VPW Australia
    122 -128 Cooper St Epping 3076
    (03) 8405 9200

4.  Top
  5. Thanks guys :) I've never even heard of Bursons :oops: but will give them a call tomorrow.

If I don't have any luck there I'll see if I can find a perormance auto shop hereabouts :grin:

6. What the heck is wrong with quality feeler guages?

7. I use iridium plugs..don't have the problem.

8. No luck with Bursons - they don't stock them. Will try some performance shops on Monday.

9. I think the problem with feeler gauges is that when used for checking spark plug gap, inexperienced users can inadvertantly slide in a larger feeler and gap the plug further. The wire type ones are more difficult to do this.

An experienced person should have no issue with using either.

10. In the days when plugs needed gapping, I always used my thumbnail and never had a problem .

These days, plug gaps never seem to move between replacements and they always seem to be right straight from the box. :grin:

11. Calibration kit:
    [​IMG]

Shims:
    [​IMG]

12. My set of about 20 has the size printed on each guage. :LOL:

13. Re: Spark plug gapping tool - where to get one????????!!!!!!

Most accurate, huh?

You have checked the tolerances on feeler gauges and they are not accurate? ;-) j/k

It all comes down to the way you use the tool, but I have never succeeded in altering the gap of a spark plug just by inserting a feeler gauge - I always have to lever it open with a screw driver. You would have to be extremely brutal to get a bendy feeler gauge to open up a spark plug gap...

On the other hand I just would not bother with wire gauges - since they are so small they will be easily "altered" through improper use, and will quickly become innacurate. Even "forcing" a feeler gauge through a tight tappet only leaves the slightest rub mark, not a change in thickness.

And finally, having gapped plenty of car and motorcyle plugs from 24 to 40 thou I have yet to be able to see or feel any performance difference by changing the gap alone. There is a huge margin for error, even on those old Lucas magneto powered British bikes which are nominally set to 24 thou.

Cheers

Trevor G

14.  Top