Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Spark plug change

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by KumuduG, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Hi Guys

So I just changed oil and filter of my ya aha MT09. I have clocked 22000km so far. The manual says to replace the spark plugs at 20000km. So I have a question that I would like to get your guys opinion on. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Should I just go get the oem plugs from the dealer [ which I believe is an NGK 2308 CPR9EA-9 ] or should I shop around for something else. Like ngk iridioms, or densos or likewise?
  2. Get iridium to extend change intevals. Just make sure you get the same heat rated plugs.
    They do cost x4 time the price of oem copper ones. But can extend interval of plug changes quite substantially. No performance gains to be had.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. If you likely to move it on before it hits 40km, I'd just replace it with the stock plug but from a retailer other than a thieving dealer.
    No point paying 4x the price of Nickel alloy electrode plugs if it won't be owned by you at 80km.
  4. This is what I have heard, the expensive plugs are designed for lean burn injected car engines, like my V6 that have the back plugs in really hard to get at places. They are rated to change at 100k as you need to pull half the engine to bits to get at them. As its way easier to change them on your average bike I wouldn't bother. What I would do is follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
  5. Any engine can benefit from iridium plugs. They, and platinum tipped plugs, are better at cleaning themselves in normal operation as well as surviving the harsh environment inside the combustion chamber. The biggest benefit is the extended change interval, but as a result of the self-cleaning they also give you the bonus of running like new plugs for much much longer. That gives you more consistent power and fuel consumption rather than the up and down of regular plugs. The performance difference over a new conventional plug is marginal at best. The real gain is in consistency. Where the conventional plug will lose performance over it's change interval the iridium just keeps on going the same as new without needing cleaning, gapping, or replacing, and only dies off at the end of it's life. They're not magic by any means, but they are worth getting if you have the cash on hand.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. If you shop at the wrong and the right places, iridium plugs can be down to double the price of standard. Dont find that out after you've been stitched up for standard..
  7. I would shop around for the best price even if you have to wait a few days. Most likely the standard troll out of the stealership is " Oh we don't stock these ones" and then get charged double the price because you know the NGK's from the bikieshop are better then from any other shop, not.
    Also iridium's are all nice but will you still have the bike once they are up for a change again?
    Personally I prefer to change the plugs more often this will give me the opportunity to see how each cylinder is burning, btw since you have an MT 09 did you change the exhaust and do you run a non stock air filter if so can you make a few colour pics of the spark plug tips just to see if the bike is running lean ?
  8. I didn't change the exhaust and I'm running the stock air filter and I haven't changed the air fuel ration settings from the dash. So it's pretty much stock standard.
  9. Ok, thank you for the info.
    Once you pull the plugs would be interesting to observe the colour of the plug tips as its known to pass the emission standard on the MT 09 anything below 6000 rpm (eco mode, fuel air ratio regulated by the O2 sensor) is on the leaner side but probably just acceptable to not cause any long term damage (well we hope anyway).
  10. Once I pull them out I will post some pics. The only time I take her above 6k rpm is on lights, overtaking and gear changes. [ Which is quite frequent ]. The rest of the time I normally keep her around 4 - 5 k rpm. Would be interesting to see how the plugs look.
  11. Thanks looking forward.
  12. Iridium plugs......I once got asked "would sir like finance with that" when I enquired about the cost of a set of 4 at a certain bike shop.

These days I use them to pad out parts orders from the states, less than US$10 each as opposed to the ludicrous $20+ prices that are asked in local shops.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Are the plugs hard to get at? :
    Yes: use iridium
    No: I can change them in like 2 minutes, use regular copper plugs

Personally I just use the bog standard NGK copper plugs, every 20k is a good time to be inspecting them anyway to see how the engines running.
    The only Iridium I use is in my 2 stroke scooter as it magically resists fouling up
  14. Thanks everyone for the replies. So after investigations following are the plugs that suite the MT-09

NGK - CPR9EA-9 - This is the stock plug. Standard copper plug

NGK - CPR9EAIX-9 – This is the iridium plug. NGK Australia has no stock

So I tried to source them from MCAS Dandenong and Peter Setvans Ringwood. Both places have no floor stock and has to order in.

Instead I ordered the NGK - CPR9EA-9 from the nearby supercheap so it's easier for me to collect. Total cost is around 27 bucks for the 3 plugs. Each plug was $6 and 15 more for freight.

I put a $10 deposit and they said the plugs will come withing 2-5 business days to the store.

Fingers crossed.
  15. It's wicked when the salesperson is not good at maths too :p
  16. I think you're getting ripped.

NGK Standard Nickel Spark Plug CPR9EA-9
  17. Finally after 2 weeks the spark plugs arrived :)