Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Spark cables likely in dire need of replacement...

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by ad91on, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Hi all,

So i was playing with the old Across tonight and came across (hahaha i'm so funny) something which was really, really alarming.

See the attached pictures... I was aiming to get the spark plugs out when this cable just pulled straight off the top of it. I know they are supposed to be easy to get off, but it literally fell out and yes, that brown stuff you can see hanging off it, that is dirt.

I checked another one and it was a similar story. I tried to fire it up with the original offending cable out, and it did, albeit with a clear tapping sound. When i put the cable back in, it fired up as usual. But i suspect this is where alot of my concerns about the bike about to blow up have been coming from...

Being 12am, i decided to call it quits for the night and tackle the issue in the morning.

I was considering replacing all the spark plugs as a matter of course anyway, but now I am thinking maybe all the wiring needs replacing too. The bike is nearly 20 years old; it is around 20kms off the 90,000km mark. It always starts reliably, revs freely to around 12,000 where it flattens out and until that rev limit has what feels like the regular amount of power. For a 20 year old bike that has been through what seems like dozens of learners, i am not complaining.

what do you think? Is that what the cable is supposed to look like? What sort of task am I looking at?

And yes i know my engine is filthy, that is an entirely different problem however...

Attached Files:

2. Buy a new set of leads. Those are stuffed.

3. Somebody else will be better able to advise you, but you might just need to buy some HT lead - from Autobarn, or eBay - and fit it into your caps and coils. I looked into that for my Hornet but each lead was apparently a single unit with its cap. It was going to cost me about $150 only to replace all for units.

4. OK

So i finally got around to replacing these with some bosch ones from supercheap...

To be honest, i don't know if there's any difference. Initial impressions are that the engine seems to be more responsive.

The bosch ones were for a car, so had plugs and stuff on them. I cut off one end to expose the lead and shoved it into the cap already on the bike, and the other end i bent the plug into a shape which fitted into the ignition coil.

Seems to be working fine for now. Regardless, they will be better than those pieces of crap that i replaced! Only time will tell whether this was worth the effort or not.