Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Spada wont start - Fuel Problems

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by dwainz, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Hi,

Left the Spada sitting for a few weeks and when I went to start her - no go.

The Spark's still good so I drained the fuel tank ready for a new batch of fresh ULP :) - Problem is, when I opened the taps on the carbies to drain the bowls - nothing came out :(

I eventually got fuel running out the taps (turned the fuel tap on, sealed the tank and pressurised it with a bike pump) and added a new batch of fuel. The old fuel was pretty sludgy.

However still no starting. The bike'll crank OK but just wont fire. I'm fairly certain I'm not flooding it. BTW Yes the kill switch is not on!

I have noticed that the bike's been getting progressively harder to start since I got it.

I'm fairly certain the problem is blocked carbbies but any advice would be appreciated! I'm planning on opening them up and having a look - does anyone have any clues as to what I should look for?

Thanks in advance,
  2. In the bottom of the carbies you have some floats that operate a needle valve. This needle regulates the flow of fuel into the carbies.

This may be gummed up with residue. Pull it apart and spray heeps of carbie cleaner about.

Have you got a "pri" position on the fuel tap?

If you have, then try this before you pull the carbies down. Then run premium fuel for a tank. This may clean them up a bit.

You will need to use this setting to start after you clean the carbies.
  3. Cool Ibast thanks for the tips - Anyone else got some suggestions??
  4. This is what I've usually done on various bikes:

Hook the bike battery up to a car battery, leave the car running. Sometimes bike batteries don't have enough capacity or power to provide a clean spark when runnning low.

Full choke, NO THROTTLE, keep turning the bike over until it a cylinder catches. Keep turning it over until both catch, this can sometimes take a long time depending on how long the bike has been stood (hence the car battery).

Simple as that, once (good) fuel gets to the carbies, it shouldn't take long to fire.
  5. If caught away from easy help, a few times on various bikes we have roll started in second, dump the clutch, (not to much throttle), tends to bounce the crud in the carby, and off you go, only tried it on a few 250, not sure about larger bikes etc.