Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Spada starting problem

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by art_vandelay, Sep 8, 2010.

1. G'day everyone,

I was hoping someone could provide me with some info.

I've got a Spada that wont start. I turn the ignition on, flick it to On, open the choke, press the Start button and all I hear is a grinding noise from the under the seat, right near the battery.

Having looked at the service manual, it could be the starter relay switch.

I have to sit on the weekend and take it out. Do you have ideas on how to test it?

Thanks very much.

2. The grinding noise could be the starter relay firing repeatedly. this can be a result of a bad connection or the starter motor being jammed.

The first thing to do is check the terminal connections to the battery. Pull them, clean with a wire brush and reconnect firmly. Even if they look good, go through the process of cleaning them.

If the problem continues, then check the starter motor isn't seized. You should be able to turn the engine in higher gears by pushing the bike or turning the back wheel with your hands.

If that is good, then you need to look and terminal connections at the relay and at the starter motor.