Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Spada rear shock

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by hippo, Apr 23, 2008.

1. I took my bikie down to get the rear shock checked out, and have been told it's probably in need of a new seal and bush, although it's difficult to tell without taking it apart.

What should I do? Buy a secondhand/reco one and put it in, or have this one played with?

and *cough*poorunistudent*cough*
  2. for 1100 dollars i'll fix it... lol cough cough splatter :LOL:
  3. Why does it need a new shock?

Here is how it works.

The "shock" is really a suspension unit, combining a steel coil spring and a damper unit, which contains oil. The damper reduces/eliminates the tendencay of a coil spring to keep bouncing after the initial "shock" or bump has passed.

The damper works to slow down the bounce by forcing oil through a small orifice (a valve). On compression, the valve can lifty off its seat to allow more oil through than on rebound. You do not want a lot of compression damping, otherwise this makes the suspension hard (slow to respond) when it hits a bump.

You need a lot more rebound damping (resistance to extending the spring) and this is achieved by letting the valve close under spring pressure so that the oil is now forced through extremely tiny holes.

Here's how to test it:

Sit on the bike - if the back suspension bounces up and down freely, it is worn - the damping is insufficient. That means that you can tend to "pogo" when you hit a bump.

The Spada is a very fine handling bike, and so you shouldn't really see some of the problems other bikes experience with worn shocks, such as instability or weaving, especially at speed (100+) around corners.

The bike should compress and then return to its original position when you sit on it. Have a friend press down on the seat to try to bounce it while you are seated and watch what happens. If it bounces (goes down, up, down again) there is too little damping. It's as simple as that.

Trevor G

PS I don't think the Spada has a rebuildable shock - but there are places which dismantle and reweld non-rebuildable suspension units. I used a company in Brisbane for a VTR250 shock overhaul- mine just needed new oil. Total cost - under $100.