Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Spada problems

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by GuttedEwok, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Okay, couple of problems with the Spada.

1. Was running pretty hot a few weeks ago, so decided to take off the radiator cap and see how much fluid was in the radiator. Being an idiot, I didn't read the manual and didn't realise I was supposed to check the fluid using the expansion tank. Took ages to get the radiator cap back on, and now it doesn't quite seal properly. It basically does the job, but when it gets up to full temp coolant leaks out from around the radiator cap. Should I use a sealant around the cap, or just leave it for someone who knows what they're doing.

2. Left hand indicator is working intermittently. Not sure what the problem is, haven't really had a look at it yet.

Now, can anybody recommend a good bike mechanic/workshop in the northern suburbs of Melbourne. I live in Glenroy, so anything around that area would be good. The bike's still under warranty, but I'd have to take it all the way to Lilydale, and the shop I got it from were pretty useless through the buying process, so I can't see them being too helpful here.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. The Spada cap takes 2 half twists to lock into place. Is it your cap that's busted or the radiator?

If it's the cap, rather than use any Sealant, just rock up to your local honda shop and buy a new one. Be around $20 from memory.

For your indicator, you can fix it yourself if you have a multimeter. You just have to trace the wires till you find where it is. If it's your left indicator only, it's just going to be the connection to it at the front is a little loose.

All fixable yourself if you have the time :) If not, I can recommend mechanics in Sydney, but Melbourne is out of my area of expertise.

3. The cap seems fine. The lip around the top of the radiator is pretty scratched up, seems like a fairly soft metal is used. The cap is almost locked on. I only get a slight leak when the bike is up to temperature. But from what I understand, it shouldn't matter about the lip on the radiator. The pressure in the cooling system should push up on the spring on the radiator cap and that should create a seal. I'll get a multimeter and try to sort out the indicator, but I'm hopeless with electrics. Thanks for the help.