Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Spada not starting

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by stu123, May 23, 2008.

1. Ok guys, so i was happily riding along when the bike started to power down, i presumed it was out of fuel so i switch over to reserve tank but it would not start up again. I presume that i have drained the reserve so i get 3 litres of unleaded, chuck it in, put the fuel switch back to 'on' and it still doesnt start. I waited a while and everything it still wont start, tried switching it back to reserve, it turns on fine and i just got a new battery, the ignition sounds fine, for some reason it just ownt catch.

any ideas what is wrong?

2. You need to do some more sleuthing.

Remove the spark plugs and check for spark, by operating the starter motor with the leads on the plugs and the metal base of the plugs resting against the engine casing where it isn't painted.

1) Do you have spark?

Subsequently, remove the fuel hose from where it enters the carb (on the rhs I think?) and see if fuel runs out. I don't think it should, because you have a vacuum operated fuel tap.

2) Does any fuel run out when you crank the engine?

Next find the vacuum line feed to the fuel tap - see in this pic:

[​IMG]

3) Remove this line and watch for any fuel leaking from it (there should not be any.

4) Remove the fuel line from the nearby carb.

5) Once you are sure you are on reserve, suck on the vacuum line. THIS IS POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS. Fuel should run out of the fuel line.

If it doesn't, you either have no fuel, not enough fuel, the tap is blocked, or the vacuum diaphragm in the tap has a pinhole.

6) To check for a holey diaphragm:

When you apply suction to the line, block the tube with the end of your tongue - the vacuum should be maintained against your tongue. If not, you have a leak (in the tap or the vac line.)

All the best

Trevor G

PS The Spud should be the same (close enough) to the Vitter as above.

3. Also check you haven't accidentally knocked the kill switch :oops: