Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Spada lost (electrical) power :(

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by dwainz, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Hi Guys n Gals,

Spud stopped at the lights. When I hit the starter again -> No luck - Starter will not spin.

I managed a push start and got home, but all the way home the lights/horn/indicators etc were feeble, as if they were simply not getting enough power. When I test everything at home without the engine running I get the same result - lights, indicators etc very weak.

I'm fairly sure the battery's ok - its 3 months old + used often. + the Multimeter says 11.8 volts.
    I can also hear the starter relay clicking when trying to start.

As far as I can see all wires/fuses/connections look ok.

I don't know much about electricals - can anyone please suggest a few ideas?

2. Sounds like there's not enough voltage getting to the bike, and since there's voltage at the battery I reckon it could just be something as simple as a loose/dirty connection somewhere.
    Edit: Just noticed your location, your Spada's not the orange one I've seen parked out at Uni a few times is it? If you get stuck let me know - I'm no expert on these things but might be able to spot something you've missed.
  3. alternator charge wire come loose?
    regulator faulty/damaged/loose connection?

11.8v is not high enough for a charged battery.

what is the voltage across the battery terminals with the bike running?
  4. yeah 11.8 is a pretty much flat battery.

As suggested above, check you are getting something like 13.8V when the bike is running. You may need to use your third hand to rev the bike a bit.

It could be the alterator itself, a loose connection or the regulator. Or it may be you have lost a cell in the battery.
  5. What you should do in this instance is re-route all power from your shields. Now, this will leave you vulnerable to laser fire, so you will have to do some swift manouvering. It shouldn't take long for your engine to re-ignite, and once that happens you can hit the hyperdrive and away you go.

This is what I did on the M4 one day and trust me, it works.
  6. Could be the regulator/rectifier that will be gone, common on smaller capacity Hondas of the early 90's era.

Arm yourself with a multimeter and follow this simple electrical fault finding process just to eliminate the stator, battery, etc:

Incidentally, most model reg/recs will work, don't be talked into buying an expensive new one specifically for the spada.