Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Spada 250 won't start

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by TheMav, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Hi Guys,

When I got on my Spada this afternoon it was losing power and as I was climbing a hill it stalled on me. When I tried to start it, it would not start. I had a look in the fuel tank but could still see a bit of fuel at the bottom. Just to be sure, I put another 5 litres of fuel in there but it still does not start.

It's not a battery problem but the battery will die soon if I keep cranking it. Also tried to push start it down the hill but no good.

I recently purchased the bike and had it serviced. The alternator regulator and spark plugs were replaced. Also one of my fuel hoses started splitting so I replaced it with a transmission oil hose.

Any ideas why it's not starting?

• Like Like x 1
  2. How do I do that?
    Bike was running fine for a day or two after I changed the fuel hose.
  3. Check your spark. Don't have to whip your plugs out, just pull the lead off, insert an old / spare plug, earth it and turn over. If you're getting a spark, good. That could mean fuel isn't getting to or through your carbie. Then revert back to possible causes in Brando's post.
  4. I just cranked it a few more times just now and it started. Strange.
  5. Get a Honda ;)
  6. tank vent or vacuum line to fuel tap
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. wild guess is you ran out of fuel
    on a hill

cranking probbally reduced battery more fuel too late
    and maybe even flooded it.
  8. ps that chart lol
    no. 5 after a compression test and not before wtf

9. You sound like you could be right. Where do I start and what am I looking for exactly?
  10. tank vent varies from bike to bike. Sometimes it's part of the cap. Sometimes it's separate. This will feel like a the bikes power fading and then eventually not running. When it stalls, pop the cap and restart. If it starts after a few cranks, then this is the culprit.

The vacuum line will run form the carbies or inlet ducts to the fuel tap. this will feel similar to the above, but might result in the bike getting hotter and pinging and carrying on with funny rev behaviour. If the connection looks good, just replace the tube for good measure. Couple of dollars from repco.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. #12 Flatbush, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
    lol... a Spada is a Honda. And a very good one... Getting old though.
  12. ^^ I may have a fair understanding of Honda's ........ and a small grasp on sarcasm ;)