Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Spada 250 Vs Hornet 250

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Ashan Perera, Nov 11, 2012.

1. hey guys
    im looking for my 1st bike and spada and the hornet are kinda my choices at the moment. i got 2 bikes im interested at the moment they r both 2500 bux and spada comes with 11 months rego and hornet comes with 2 months rego both got rwc.. im 5'7" so not that tall at all. so if u guys got any experience or knowledge about these 2 bike please help me with this . cant wait to start riding.
    they both looks nice nice colours and its damn hard to pic one atm.

thanks guys

2. Mate the differences aren't that big between the two. Just go with whichever one feels right, with preferably more rego (spada) and get a mate or someone who knows a little more than yourself to give it a quick look as well. Also check: is there a logbook for service history? Any frame dents? The proof in the pudding is how it rides and what feels right.
  3. There is a very noticeable difference in size between the two. The 250 Hornet is the same size as the 600, so you may find it a better option if you're planning on doing a lot of highway kms (the extra power will also come in handy). The Spada is somewhat easier to ride just because the torquier v-twin is a little more forgiving when it comes to mistakes with the clutch/gearbox, but does feel tiny compared with larger 250s. Not much difference in weight between them though, the alloy frame doesn't actually make it any lighter.

If you're set on a naked I'd definitely add a Suzuki Bandit/GSF250V to the list of bikes to look for. You might also want to consider the Yamaha FZX250 Zeal, or Kawasaki ZR250 Balius (I notice there's two of these on Bikesales in VIC for under 2.5k). They're all basically the same as the Hornet 250, and IMO a better long-term option than a Spada.
  4. #4 Unconnected, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
    The hornet is a great first bike, as fast as you need it to be, very good brakes, very forgiving handling (you can do what you want with the throttle, it wont kick you off as its very underpowered with its 120 front and 180 rear), sounds great, revs hard but has good torque for getting around town, mirrors are also very effective. Seat is comfortable and there is good room for taller people (im 6ft, was very comfy) can be ridden all day (i did 850km on mine in a single trip) with comfort. Looks good too, and not like a dinky little lams bike. Also endlessly reliable with gear driven cams and if anything goes wrong, its just an MC19 engine from 250RR, so its not hard to find someone to work on it. Only part it does not share with the RR is the ignition system, as it runs a different map for better mid range. They are also extremely light, which makes it very easy to save dropping it, as its point of no return is much greater than other bikes. even if you do drop it, the bars take all the impact and you wont damage the bike itself much.

The bandit is also a very good option, @toadcat has had both and rates the bandit as being a great bike for the money, bit more power at the top end with vtec and its AUDM so suzuki wont tell you to piss off if it explodes, personally i dont like their design, too much plastic chrome, the hornet looks sportier and can probably be cranked over further (infact, hornets love getting ridden hard and have so much tire real estate, good peg clearance too)

You cant do better for a first bike than a hornet or the bandit, spada's are a bit long in the tooth and not worth it these days, maybe if you were writing this post in 2005 it would be a different story, as they were very well engineered.

EDIT: main thing you want to ask the owner is if he can prove the hornet has had its valve clearances done at some stage in its life, its an expensive service but really gives you confidence in its reliablity, it should be done around 40-50,000k mark.
  5. Yep, the Spada is one of the smaller 250s, whereas the Hornet is more or less the biggest. Put them next to each other and the difference is pretty radical. Even the headlight is a lot bigger. If you're a big dude, you might feel a bit oversized for a Spada.

The Hornet is going to be at least seven years newer than the Spada.

The bikes will ride quite differently due to the different engine characteristics. The V-twin will generate power more easily - it will require less energy from you for every day commuting. The inline four will need to be revved up past 10k if you want to move quickly and will require more gear changing if you don't want to rev it high all the time. It will be most at home in the hills/twisties, where you will keep the bike high up in its power band the whole time.

Maintenance work is going to be more complicated on the Hornet. You'll have four carbs to balance instead of two, sixteen valves to re-shim instead of eight, and you're tyres will cost a lot more due to the 180 on the back and the unusual size on the front. This means more money or time and effort on your part.

As a grey import, it would be hard to get parts that are unique to the Hornet. Luckily, most components are shared with the 600 Hornet and the CBR250. The Spada may also be difficult to find parts for due to its very short production life time, but there are a few lying around in wreckers here and there. Just don't smash either one and you won't have any problems.

The Spada sounds like a motorcycle. The Hornet, with the stock exhaust, sounds like a vacuum cleaner on ex.

Send me a PM with a link to the ad for the Hornet, if you like, and I'll let you know if I spot anything unusual based on my time riding and working on one.
  6. thanks guys im leaning towards the spada due to price and the long rego.
    and i will probably sell it after my Ls and get a 600 or even a hornet 600. right not my main purpose is to save money for a better 2nd bike . so thanks for ur insight guys. it helped alot since i tried both today, they felt the same and comfy.

thanks again
  7. @jack the hornet is one of mates, and he is selling it. and its not on bike sales or anywhere yet..
  8. At least ride the hornet and the spada, i doubt you will want the spada after you ride a hornet.
  9. The spada sounds terrible. Don't know what motorcycle you were judging by.

OP, if you want convincing about the spada just search threads for people looking to buy one, usually had many previous owners giving nothing but praise to them, a few even kept them.

The reality I'd that they are getting long in the tooth and the newer vtr250 isn't a whole lot different, just a bit less power.

At 5'7" I'd be taking the spada without question. I'm 5'10 and while it was small I was comfortable.
  10. Hornets sound absolutely insane with a straight pipe so yeah. HORNET.

if you think you might ever want to head out into the country and ride around on nice twisty roads and go to pubs and rider cafes and eat bacon and egg rolls in leather pants etc

Hornet is your only option.

Spada, i dunno, its a good bike but its really not a great bike in 2012. VTR as lilly said is a much better option if you want a Vtwin, pick up an early 2000 model and you will be set, they too sound good with a pipe and can be ridden pretty sportingly. But they are quite a fair bit slower than a hornet, which is honestly a pretty quick learner bike.
  11. which bike is more economical between v twin spada or the inline 4 hornet?
  12. Well i remember getting about 250-300k out of a tank on the hornet depending on how you rode. I think its got a 15L tank, so thats pretty good. I cant really say about the spada as i have not owned one, but i would think they would be pretty close, both are fcuking cheap compared to a car or a big bike. But id guess if you rode the hornet hard it would burn more fuel than a spada. Again, they are both cheap as chips to run and both would run on 91RON, so yeah, pretty cheap.
  13. I had a Hornet 250 then migrated to the 600.

The 250 was very underpowered as the bike is pretty much the same as the 600 but with a hair dryer engine. Its particularly unsafe at high speed cornering as the engine just couldnt push the bike through corners, back tyre is off a Fireblade 900 or something, and far too big for that engine imo even though it looks great.

The Spada from memory has a back tyre more in tune with the rest of the bike so might be a better option.

Also the Hornet 250s are all grey imports afaik so there can be insurance and servicing dramas, so you are better off going with a locally sold production bike.
  14. Spada's likely to be around 4-5L/100km, the Hornet around 5-6L/100km assuming the same sort of riding. So difference in fuel consumption isn't really an issue with learner bikes, at least not compared with the cost of all the other things bikes consume on a regular basis (chains, sprockets, tyres, oil and filters, etc.), and of course the cost of rego and insurance.

If you're not planning on doing the service work yourself make sure there is a local mechanic willing to do it before buying the bike - as many will simply refuse to work on grey imports like the Hornet or Spada. Can't really blame them though, as finding info/parts for these bikes can sometimes be tricky - and if you're only paying $2.5k you're unlikely to be willing to pay much for a service (far better for a mechanic to spend their time instead on someone else's $15-20k bike).

If you want something cheap to buy and run - then buy a Kawasaki GPX/ZZR250. It's the Corolla of the bike world.
  15. Felt pretty safe to me getting knee down at a 120+ on the right hander out of old road. Let me see you do that on a spada.

Spadas are also grey imports and have less common parts than Hornets, which share every body component with a hornet 600 and every engine component with a 250RR (which was/is one of the most popular learner bikes for the past 15 years, especially pre lams days)

Of three mechs i used in sydney for my hornet, and the main honda dealer in the ACT, none of them ever had any issues with my bike getting parts or anything of the sort. The only thing that is different on a hornet is it has a different ignition timing to make it have more streetable power. The only issue you have is if you get an early one with a 16 inch front, it limits your tire choice to only 2-3 brands, but the later models have a 120/17.

The hornet 250 was built from the ground up to have a 180 rear and it suits the bike well and makes it extremely forgiving to ride, this suits learners as you pretty much can never run out of tire or highside it, honda knows how to make bikes, i think you might just not know how to ride them.
  16. Spada gets around 240 km before hitting reserve, with an 11L tank from memory. WOT was about 220.

JD, I never encountered a spanner who wouldn't work on my spada. Not saying they don't exist...
  17. They'll become more and more common as the bikes get cheaper, and the parts more expensive.

I suspect this has something to do with why there seems to be so few Spadas around these days compared with 5-6 years ago. With late model GPXs/early Ninjas already down around the 3k mark, and new 125-150s even less, then realistically a Spada should only be worth around $1-1.5k at most. So any major mechanical problems, and it's basically a write-off if you can't fix it yourself (and why bother, when there's so many other old bikes you could put the effort into).
  18. A few points to add/rectify:

* Although most Spadas are grey imports, the model was also sold officially in Australia. This means that you should have less problems insuring them. IMR will insure Hornets.
    * Any mechanic that can work on a CBR250RR should be able to work on a Hornet. The most useful thing that you can do maintenance-wise is get the Japanese parts book, complete with pictures and part numbers (I have a pdf), and then order your parts through PS or over the internet.
    * All 250 Hornets have the 130/70/16 front wheel, which makes finding tyres a pain. Unlike the 600 Hornet, they did not get a 120/70/17 from 2000 onwards.

I'd second the suggestion of the GPX/ZZR as a good, basic learners bike. Cheap as hell, there are parts everywhere, and the market is flooded with them.
  19. That is true, almost none around these days. Same goes for vtr's. Used to be a dime a dozen and now rather thin on the ground.