Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Southern loop

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by hornet, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Just got back from a 130km loop south from Wollongong. Took the Highway to Nowra, boring, three speed cameras and buckley's chance of being over the limit anyway, but oh so much fun through the Kiama esses.

Turned right at the roundabout at Nowra and out through Kangaroo Valley. I caught up to two guys on bikes, one overtook a car over a double unbroken, the guy on the Honda V-Twin 1000 (I think) didn't and also didn't know the road all that well, so he was a fair bit slower than me, but he stopped at Kangaroo Valley.

The first 5 kays out of Kangaroo Valley heading west are really rough; watch out for a couple of really big dips right on the line. After that, up Cambewarra Mountain; I got round a few drones in the first half, but got stuck behind a car for the second, all double-unbroken line. Even on a lovely day like today, many of the corners were still wet from no sun, so care was required.

I turned right onto the Robertson road, avoided the Pie Shop and headed down Macquarie Pass. Got stuck behind a Harley and a car in that order, but I was able to pass both of them in the first third of road and had an uninterrupted run for the rest. Here too there were many corners still damp from the overnight dew at 4-ish in the afternoon, but I've been driving/riding the Pass since 1968, so I was expecting that.

The other thing to watch out for on this sort of ride at this time of the year is that you can dress relatively lightly for the coast but it's very much colder in the tops; fingers and toes feel the difference.

But, as one of our renowned posters says, the old cornering mojo is coming back, and I had a ball!!