Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

southern highlands newbie

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by furrycreature, Aug 23, 2006.

1. have finally got a bike, bought it yesterday and have been telling everyone. i dont get it for another couple of days. anyone got any tips on riding or dealing with unhappy parents? :grin:

2. Tips, yep. Listen to what they have to say. Do not bring the subject up unless they do. Think safety all the time and show them you do. Avoid looking like a hoon on the bike if they might see you. Park the bike somewhere at home they won't see it all the time. See bringing the subject up for reason. They will get used to it if you are sensible and don't use it as an argument starter. Show them all teh safety gear you have bought (you DID buy safety gear?).
    Enjoy riding!

Regards, Andrew.
  3. thanx yeah i did get safety gear. the funny thing is my mums the overprotective one but my dads more upset about it i think my being female doesnt help.
  4. Welcome, furrycreature. Right on my doorstep too, I live at the bottom of the Pass and my daughter teaches at Berrima Public School.

I'm sure the folks will come round in time; at worst you can always say "Well, would you rather I had come home and said I was joining a heavy metal band?" :LOL:

Stay in touch; a few of us ride through there a lot and we'd love to have you tag along; you might even learn something :grin:
  5. Hiya furrycreature, good to have you on the forums.
    Welcome :)
  6. Don't tell them 'close shave' stories. If you are driving with them and they are surprised by some errant driver/bad road or whatever, try to tactfully point out that either you already saw the danger (eventually your sense for this will develop to a fine pitch) or make it clear you accept that it is up to you to avoid accidents, ie, that you are not relying on the law and the abilities of other drivers/road builders etc.

Eventually they'll get sick of being 'at' you and they will resort to low-level harassment.