Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Southern Cross Flag - why?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Kaer, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Been puzzling me for a while.

Why do some riders have the southern cross flag, either with patch or flag?

Some of them even have both flags on their jacket, Aus flag and that one as well.

What's the significance? (Yes I know about the Eureak stockade, curious about what it's got to do with riding)
  2. See the Motorcycle Culture thread, and Loz's incisive analysis therein......
  3. Unfortunatly I think some people with less racially open minds have taken the southern cross on board as an Aussie equivalent of that southern US flag.
  4. There were a few trade unions too that adopted the Southern Cross flag, often seen by many as a symbol of resisting the Government (though ironically also the symbol for City Council here in Ballarat).
  5. If that's the case (and I'm not necessarily disputing it), then I am deeply offended by people misusing this country's symbol of the struggle for freedom and equal rights (as well as the symbol of my home town).
    I can't say I've ever heard of it being used in that way, although I do remember a certain dodgy trade union official trying to claim ownership of it.
  7. What type of bikes?
  8. I've seen the patch on jackets of sports bike riders, harley riders and tourers.

I might just ask one the next time I see one. Bike show on the weekend reminded me of it as I saw lots of riders with it there.
  9. My understanding is that it was recognized as the rebels flag since the mid 1800’s. (Not the Bike Club’s flag)

People sometimes like to think of themselves as a bit of a rebel maybe because they ride, or belong to a trade union or whatever.
  10. i've seen the flag sticker on some cars.

i think farawayman is right, it's a rebel thing, fighting the government etc etc