Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

South Island, New Zealand.. And so it begins

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by drjay555, Feb 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. once more we are back in South Island but this time on bikes. Sigh!
    My son and I planned this for almost a year. Hired bikes. The BMW F800GT being the said set of two wheels. With panniers and top box plenty of space for everything but the esky, but hey NZ has plenty on offer. Left Christchurch this morning after having plenty of little problems including the gps unit flying off the bike. Got them out of the way so hopefully the rest should be fine !
    First day, short ride up to Hanmer Springs, 135 kms. The bike handles well, it's not an S1000RR but has enough grunt to overtake without too much of a problem. Manoeuvrable. The weather, cold and grey and a light drizzle as we left Christchurch. Roads beautiful. Plenty of traffic as it is a long weekend. Heading off for the west coast tomorrow. Hope the sun decides to come out and play.

What a beautiful country this is. The people so friendly. The beer is cold and the food is great. Photos will come when I'm able to get them.

• Like Like x 14
    • Winner Winner x 5
  2. post pics...

3. We hired a car when we were there a couple of years ago. Fully agree on the country and the friendly people. The one thing I did note was that often when going around a corner I would meet an oncoming car on my side of the road. They seem to like crossing the center line whether they can see what is coming or not.

4. looking forward to seeing some pics

5. Hanmer springs is a top spot. Great beer at the Monteiths Pub (y)

Can't wait to do NZ on a bike.

Have an awesome trip.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Would be good if you could post some information like ,accomodation in towns ,trip journey, cost and the like . If your ok with that :) sounds very cool good luck mate .

7. Just winding down for the night. Hanmer Springs is a great spot. Staying at a B&B called Cheltenham House. Nice people. They have an evening "get together" with all the guests where they share a glass of wine and you meet everyone. Lunch and beer at the Fire&Ice restaurant and dinner at the Malabar were both great. My son had a soak in the hot springs while I had a snooze after lunch. Tomorrow we go to the west coast , down to Punakaiki for the night.

• Like Like x 2
  8. image. image. image. image. image. image. Pics

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
  9. Looks beautiful

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cool, this is definitely on my bucket list

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Day 2. Hanmer Springs - Westport -Punakaiki
    Plenty of twisties, mostly easy to maintain a good pace. Road surface great. Once we crossed over to the west coast the sun shine bright and it became quite warm. Stopped in Reefton for a coffee and to shed a few layers. Beautiful coastline with rock formations such as the "pancake rocks ". Plenty of bikes on the road. Thanks to the gent on the silver bike out of Westport, who joined us for a bit of a fang on the coast road. image. image. image. image. image.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
  12. Awesome pics..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Glad you are enjoying it. I have personally thrashed that very White F800GT you are riding, and my friends thrashed the bronze one lol

It's a great place to be on two wheels, and we had the best weather you could hope for in a place that has 9M or rain a year, we didn't get a drop in 5 days!

You have stopped at a few of the same places we did.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. I have driven all around the South Island twice. Once in a campervan and years later in a car both times to co incide with the War Birds over Wanaka airshow.
    I am looking forward to riding around NZ in the future.

15. I thought they looked familiar.

• Like Like x 1
  16. image. image. image. image. image. Day 3. Punakaiki - Greymouth - Franz Josef
    Started cloudy and cool. Few straight roads, some awesome coastal stretches and then into the mountains.
    Stopped often to take photos. Few tight twisties (where my son leaves me for dead !). Reached Franz Josef late arvo and decided we'd take a helicopter ride. Just amazing.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
  17. image. image. image. Day 4. Franz Josef - Queenstown
    Day started with a "works breakfast". They do mean the works. Guess you need something like that for a long day of touring. Plenty of traffic, tourist of course. Someone said to me be careful sound the bends coz some of them forget where they are and come onto the wrong side of the road. Scary thought. Beautiful roads. The ride around Lake Wanaka was breathtaking. The deep blue water made one want to sit there forever. Then on to the famous Cadrona where one has to stop and take pics of the bra wall. And the the windy(hairpin-ny) bit down to Queenstown. Shower and off for a Fergburger. Two day stop in Queenstown. Good idea.

• Like Like x 6
  18. image. image. image.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. We did indeed thrash those two BMW's :D

Amazing country with stunning scenery! Wayno, need to get planning again princess ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. I do hope Invercargill & Stewart Island (one of my fav places on the planet) is on the 2do list? You've missed the Oreti Bch challenge unless you hang around till the end of the year :) Beemas will handle a few dunes & stray kiwis I'm sure. Blue eyed cod. fkn yum. Farewell Spit might be the go as well. Safe travels & remember: enzeders rarely do head checks unless it's a skirt.