Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

South Face Road

Discussion in 'Hazardous Road Condition Reports' started by Garido, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Hi there,

Anyone travelled that road lately? It's the road connecting Mt Baw Baw Village with Thompson Dam. I believe it's still a dirt road, just wondering what the general condition is. Looking to do a trip there in about 10 days.

2. Thanks Chris. Had a look at the website before, but it doesn't give you any details about the road condition. The only picture they've got, makes it look pretty flat and smooth (not a lot of loose gravel on top).

If I'll head that way (most likely Tue, 17/04) I'll let you know.
  3. I was talking to a rider that came through there about a week or so ago.

He said it was a crap dirt road,

I was very interested whether they had made it or not, as that would make it a great loop.

So its out for me any way,
  4. Hi GaridoGarido I know this is an old thread, but I was wanting to know if you did end up going through this road and what you thought of it....?

How many kms of dirt in total? I'm keen to try and do it.... :) THanks!

the website isn't up anymore...

but this one looked interesting :)

South Face Road
  5. Hey ValvolineValvoline

I rode this on the Strom a few weeks back and it was OK. Some nice views and the bridge is worth the price of admission, alone.
    There was some fairly loose gravel, particularly on the East end, but nothing I couldn't manage. Just don't approach bends above 50km/h, unless you're skilled at power sliding the bike. The front tends to wash out a little.

It's about 30km total distance until you reach the base of Mt Baw Baw, where it becomes sealed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks for the info Mick MMick M , much appreciated :)
    • Like Like x 1