Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

South Australian Motorcycling Safety Study

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by [FLUX], Feb 21, 2006.

1. http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/safety/mcsafety2.pdf

Some interesting finds in there.

4% of all motorcycling accidents involve exceeding the posted limit OR going too fast for the conditions (i.e. below the posted speed limit - but still too fast)
    27% of all motorcycle accidents have the rider above the legal BAC
    8% of accidents involve unlicensed or inappropriately licensed riders
    55% of all motorcycle accidents involve a second vehicle, for which the motorcyclist not deemed to be at fault 57% of the time

Of course, the police in Victoria will take the above as a dire and urgent need to deploy more speed traps everywhere. :roll:
  2. hahahahhaha :LOL: damn straight, thats 4% that could be saved by speed cameras, THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!! :p :p
  3. I wonder how many of the 23.65% at fault incidents involving an other vehicle are of Riders who blow an Excesive BAC and were speeding, while unregistered or inapropriatly registered.
  4. Not even 4% mind you. That 4% figure includes both speeders, and people riding too fast but below the speed limit. Perhaps think of some road posted at 100kph for an example, even though you can't do more than 60kph through some of the corners.

Would be very interested to know what percentage actually were exceeding the posted speed limit. My guess is that it'd be more like 2-3%.

Overall I found the report very fair and even handed. An excellent effort that seriously focuses on the issues for motorcyclists, and doesn't just dismiss everything into the "speed kills" basket.

Of course, whether or not governments act on such even handed research, especially in the light that speed is NOT a major killer (in terms of the accident rate), remains to be seen.
  5. Intersting figures, the Victorian stats seem to deliberately avoid any mention of speed in the crash statistics. The simply give the line "Speed is one of the major factors contributing to crashes on Victoria's roads" without any statistics to back it up - and this is on their "crash statistics" web page :?.
  6. it is, if you are moving, then you are travelling at some kind of speed, therefore speed is a major contributer :wink:

you wouldn't have accidents if you were standing still now would you (except when you go to the tiolet in your pants because you dont want to have an accident involving speed)
  7. That still is an Accident that can be attributed to speed, or in this case the lack of.
  8. oh god :shock: it is too :shock: :shock:
  9. Speed may be a factor in causing death (since two objects can't collide without one of them moving) but the issue is whether or not speed is the cause of the crash - ie if a drunk runs off a straight road doing 2kph over the limit I'd hardly be leaping to the conclusion that their speed caused the crash. Point is that it's all well and good for the TAC to claim speed's a major factor in crashes - but why don't they back it up by stating what figures they've based this assertion on. Otherwise the statement has no more validity than saying "all motorcycle crashes are caused by their lack of front number plate" :wink:.
  10. and 91% were male.
  11. ...and of those 9/100 females, 5 of them were pillions, and only 4 were actually riders.

Of course, saying that alone, without know what the proportion of female to male riders is, means little. If there are 25x more male riders than female riders, then both are just as at risk as the other.
  12. Looking at those statistics, I have come to the conclusion that more speed cameras are required. They'll do wonders at lowering motorbike accident rates, especially the 55% involved with a second vehicle.

I'll just get on the phone to Batchelor now who can in turn call his SA counterpart with my very incisive and deeply thought and researched answer. :p
  13. that was going to be my next point- but got distracted at work.

that's right, having the report say things like "91% were male" without saying how many licensed females there are compared to males is a bit silly.

But regardless of the stats the report does have quite a few good suggestions. some of them are a bit crazy....but most of them are good. esp the fact they've made cager awareness of motorcyclists a priority.
  14. speaking of the suggestions the document makes....

one of them is a 3rd rider safe course that must be completed & passed before you go from your restricted bike to an unrestricted licence.

after getting off my L's 2 days ago, the last thing I want to do is go back to school again. However for some people (esp one of the people in my class) it's probably not a bad idea. personally all I want to do is ride my hornet, but maybe this extra training will help those who go from a 250 to a hyabusa??

what do others think?
  15. Probably worthwhile I think. Nothing will stop someone with good skill being an idiot on a superbike and killing themselves but this may stop someone with little skill killing themselves while not being an idiot but just being out of their depth. Not sure how SA would do it though as rider safe isn't geared for it and there isn't much in the way of advanced rider training(Could be ignorant here, so please correct me if I'm wrong). Would cost a fair bit to set something new up. Maybe contract out to an East Coast company to come over and do courses at Mallala?
  16. well some of the other proposals are to make learners do some actual "on road" riding before they graduate. not sure how THAT'S going to work...

good idea though. riding at 30kph on a range is a lot different to riding at 60kph in traffic.
  17. this is also consistant with vehicle accident stats. Vehicle accidents due to excessive speed was about 4% 5 or so years ago, but they have changed their way of recording and now it's up to 12%. Which is still way below justification of using the word "most". Approx 50% of vehicle accident is caused by inattention or fatigue.