Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

South African regionalisms

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by inztigator, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Saffas on this thread, and those who have visited South Africa will know what I am talking about :D

I was trying to explain why we call 'traffic lights' robots, however I didn't know why.

Well, here's the reason:

"The etymology of the word derives from a description of early traffic lights as robot policemen, which then got truncated with time"

- Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_South_African_English_regionalisms)

:D :D :D

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. And dingas, always with the dingas...
  3. My own personal favourite - "I'll do it now-now".

And why don't they sell Bunny-Chow's here on the island?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Or Ja-Nee (yes-no)
  5. Given the mix of Dutch and Brit influence (with a bit of indigenous stuff mixed in), topped off with a couple of decades of relative isolation, it's no surprise that there's stuff like that.
  6. And Indian
  7. Actually good biltong recommendations wouldn't go astray. Where do you all get your stokkies from?
  8. I make my own. Spice from Www.biltongspice.com.au. Home made dryer from a plastic storage container / light/ fan (out of an old locomotive aircon unit Nogals) and some stainless rods image.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Oh noice. I'm far too lazy for that though.
  10. Howzit?
    • Like Like x 2
  11. They do they do up at Durban Dish at baulko just up from the very attractive establishment the BullnBush :p
  12. I have still NOT tasted that biltong!!!!

Sies man! Wat moet 'n mens doen om n' bietjie biltong to kry in hierdie plek :D
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. So I started making another batch two weekends ago on the Sunday. Normally takes about three days to dry out. When I got home after one week away in South Australia I just managed to grab the last three pieces left. Damn kids. Won't stop growing as well!
  14. Howzit GeorgeOGeorgeO Here is the menu from Durban Dish..I just make my own Bunny Chow :)
    Great biltong from a place round the corner from Snives as well! image. image. image. image.
  15. Never heard of bunny chow, but reading that menu has made me want some.
  16. ColloCollo - picture speaks a thousand words. Different kinds of curry to choose from that goes inside of course. Most restaurants and take away spots have their own twist to it to make their's 'better' than the rest. Also a yearly Best Bunny Chow competition hotly contested (pun intended). I like mine saucy!

OldmaidOldmaid - thanks for the menu pics. Will have to go there now!
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Damn. Wonder if I can find it up here...
  18. Ag sheim anyone? ("Ah shame" when referring to something that's cute)
  19. Yip