Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sore Wrist

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Bluespawn, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Hi all, now I haven't been riding all that long, just 2 weeks, and I've noticed that my right wrist is getting a bit sore on the bike. I'm not quite sure what I can do to help it. Is it possible to loosed the spring on the accelerator? Ease some of the preasure? Any advice would be helpful.

2. i've been getting the same thing a bit....

i have also niticed i'm gripping the bars hard.. i think its a matter of confidence..as i don't do it around town so much... only on more busy roads...... well thats what i've found anyway
  3. Bluespawn, the only thing I've noticed is that the my ZXs did put some stress on the left elbow for some reason after 1 hour or riding... Nothing on the wrist..
  4. yeah i've seen them.....

i think my issues is more soething i'm doing wrong though as it gets better when i concentrate on not "throttling" the throttle :LOL:
  5. +1 on the Throttle Rocker idea.
  6. Hi Bluespawn,
    It could a combination of things, vibration/rosonating from engine/road that will increase the fatigue rate. It also depends on the bike configuration and how you position your self on it.
    Just like any thing posture counts for a high majority.
    If you bike can be adjusted Do it.
    If It can't you will have to adjust you self to it. This might take some time so do it gradually and slowly increase the duration of you rides until you are comfortable.
    The question you should ask yourself is how sore are you and if the focus becomes on your wrist the you will not focus on the road and/or hesitate in your riding responses.

7. Related one, so not necessarily a direct solution: I get a 'tendinitis' feeling in my left elbow after riding for a while, but I think that's 'cos I'm locking it straight when I ride, which is not good practice anyway. My right hand just goes to sleep, and needs to be 'clawed' a few times to wake up... checking first that the woman in the car beside me doesn't think I'm making breast-squeezing gestures! Yours might be that you're gripping it tight, or the throttle rocker might be a good solution. Depends whether it's from leaning your weight on the wrist or from the twisting action, I guess.
  8. Try lowering your riding position so your forearms are parallel with the tank. You'll find it helps your cornering as well.

Don't hang on to the handlebars. You should have enough pressure to keep the throttle on, but not be gripping it. Try practicing riding with the throttle on, but kinda let go of the bars (palm pressure is probably the best way to describe it).

Also, make sure your arms are relaxed. You should be able to flap your elbows easily while riding. If you are stiff, you'll feel sore and probably won't be riding as well i.e.maneuverability (sp?) won't be as good.
  9. Good point! I have tendonitis in both arms and find throttling the throttle really canes after a while. If you have RSI already it's important to remember that vibration actually sets it off and worsens it enormously. The Throttle Rockers sounds great.
  10. Well, I believe that I'm feeling pretty relaxed, I noticed in my first 100km or so that I was sort of holding on, so to speak. But now I find my arms are quite loose and this is much more comfy. I do seem to have to bend my wrist due to the way I sit on the bike, as I'm not leaning over a whole heap as it still feels a bit weird and my back doesn't like be bent over so much, (still getting used to it I think). I've done about 600km in the last 2 weeks, so I'm feeling quite confident. I'll look at the Throttle rocker, hadn't heard of those b4, are they as safe as gripping it? I'm also wondering if it's my gloves, still using winter gloves and perhaps they are restricting my grip? Not sure. I'm looking at gettnig some summer gloves anyway though.
  11. haha its the bike mate. they wrist breakers and dw you'll get use to it. if you dont like it, you might wanna switch to a cruiser which is more upright riding position
  12. I use to as well when is started for the 1st month of riding. For me it was holding my arms dead straight and holding on super hard to the bars. And your wrist is not use to the way its being twisted back and forth it has to get use to it.
  13. Nah, I'm not going to a cruiser. I love the sports bike. :) I'll try other options before I do that.
  14. my wrist was sore the first time i rode my bike but the second time i was more relaxed and i think im already getting used to it.
  15. I found i was getting a sore wrist from riding a couple of weeks ago.
    That was coming back after 6 months of not riding. Moving from an RGV to a Gixxer750 the seating position wasn't too much different.

Just had to loosen up the grip a bit when I could and the wrist will get used to riding againg after a while. If it's both wrists hurting then you might have to consider bikes with a different seating possie.

the handle bars are not meant to take your weight.

carpel tunnel is serious. there are plenty of hand problems out there. my sister had to leave her job because of it. she can't play guitar anymore.
  17. i bought one of those squeezy things that wieght lifters use to strength there wrists.. try getting one of those and see if they help... cant get any worse then it is already.

18. I hurt my right wrist by holding up the bike so that I wouldn't drop it. Now it hurts to do hard right hand turns (like in U-turns) and to rev very hard. So I'm resting my wrist for a few days (and getting treatment as well). What D Stump said makes alot of sense.
  19. i imagine this is common. especially if you're just starting out. what feels like tendons or perhaps it's just muscles on the underside of my wrist get very sore after a long ride.