Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

sore right wrist

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Andu, Oct 29, 2008.

1. I have recently moved from a gs500 to a cbr600rr and now i'm getting pain in my right wrist when riding. I don't think i'm leaning too much bodyweight on my arms as my left isn't sore at all only my right. I think it is to do with the awkward position my wrist is in when the throttle is twisted. I recently bought some new gloves with some wrist support and they seemed to fix it a bit, however I went for a long ride on saturday then last night I leant on my wrist as I was getting into bed and it's been hurting ever since; I can't even turn on a tap without it aching badly. Am I doing permanent damage to my wrist? how can I avoid these pains?

2. You have to change the way you ride.

the first thing is to bend your elbows a bit so that you will not put weight down on your wrist.

support your weight with your back. unfortunately you will have sore neck, shoulders and lower back. If that is unacceptable for you, I am happy to take the bike off your hands
  3. great. so instead of a sore wrist he gets a sore back :roll: you need to learn to ride too then.

support your weight with your legs, gripping the tank. you abs (not your back) should be doing the work, helping keep you up. i cant comment too much as i dont ride a sportsbike, but i can tell you try and keep some of the weight off your wrists, possibly try a different grip if your wrist is sore/uncomfortable when throttle open, and dont sacrifice your back to save your wrists...
  4. I think what you're experiencing is "arm pump" why its on one wrist I don't know but welcome to sports bikes!
    Grip the tank and support your weight with your torso. Try a different grip position and relax your arms.
    Your body will have to get used to using different muscles but you'll get there.
    If you can find a road where you're moving around on the bike that will help too.
  5. Try relaxing your grip on he throttle a bit.
  6. yup ... I got a new CBR600RR recently and thats exactly what you need to to ... support your body through gripping the tank and hane your arms and hands loose ... takes a while to get use to it but after forcing yourself to do it ... after few days it'll just happen ....

:) worked for me ....
  7. Similar thing happened to me when I upgraded from my VTR250 to a CBR600RR, sore wrists. I changed my riding style to support myself using legs and stomach more and keeping arms, elbows and wrists relaxed - seemed to help. One of these helped too:
    Now have moved to a bike with a more upright riding position so get no more pain in wrists no matter how long I ride.
  8. Does a cbr600rr have ABS?
  9. I believe Nibor is referring to 'rock hard abba-dabbas'. We engineers don't have abdominal muscles, so I'm sure Nibor can forgive your confusion. :grin:
  10. hey that throttle rocker looks like it could relieve some pain, thx for that dcsrhat.
  11. Throttle rocker = f*cking dangerous.

Just so you know.
  12. Ahh 'body by Poiter' style.

ps. yeah i know, i was just practicing my trolling. :p
  13. how come?
  14. They're fine for long straights & gentle curving roads... but they can interfere with your right hand corners/turns...

If you're like the rest of us, you most likely push right to go right, yes??? Sooooo, now add a throttle rocker in the mix, now you push right to go right and... you get a large burst/surge of acceleration with that right hand corner.

Feel free to use one, but use it with discretion and learn how to manage it (roll it out of the way, steer from the left hand bar, push right without rolling on etc)

15. in an ebrake you can end up squeezing the brake and rocker, pushing it down / throttle on.

its more a last resort than anything. you might be better just getting some gel grips or setting your bars a bit differently.
  16. Hey Loz, I can see your point of view, especially for general commuting and city riding. But I found it was really worth the $10 investment for longer rides (straights and leisure riding), i was much more comfortable and at no time felt it was unsafe. But hey that's just me.
  17. Yes they should but TECHNICALLY your back is also working as it's connected to your abs. If your abs aren't especially strong, your back will take the extra load to compensate , hence the sore back felt by some newer riders and why they think it's the back doing the work.

18. With the greatest respect Loz thats a pretty general statement and can be said about most things relating to riding. :wink:
    If the TR is in the wrong place the hand position would need to compensate but thats most likely a lazy grip in the first place.
    My throttle rocker stays on my bike.
    No issues for me and doesnt effect my position on the grip.

The best $10 I have ever spent :)
  19. You need to HTFU.
    Deadlift - google it.
    /close thread
  20. #20 Zealt, Oct 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    If you use a mouse a lot you can strain the soft tissue in your wrist, which could be why its only one wrist.

My doc told me to make sure i have a neutral position on my wrist while using the computer.. which mean sitting with your elbow higher then the mouse and having the wrist bent slightly so the hand is raised a little.

i have a high desk so i cant do that easily, so im looking on to a track ball on a hand grip.

like this one.