Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sore hands

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by HeavyNinja, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Now before anyone says search, I did and the threads were old and I didn't want to bump an ancient thread.

Essentially my hands especially the right gets sore, but not from twisting the throttle. Seams to be I lean more of my weight on the bars as the pain is between my thumb and wrist. I have tried sitting more upright however the previous owner installed aftermarket rear sets, which are further back than stock 300 sets. Now I find my rear sets easy to use, but it seems to just automatically put me in a half sport half superbike position and if I sit up, about 1min later I have shifted back into the same position. I don't get a sore back at all. Given I wish to hopefully own a supersport, is there any tips to stop the sore hands?

2. Relax your grip and flap your elbows, from your description of pain between thumb and wrist is tension in your grip. Imagine you're holding an open tube of toothpaste.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ^^what he said. It's been stated before. Relax your grip, use your body to control the attitude of your bike - not your hands. Elbows in line with your wrists etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. To ride with relaxed hands you need to build up your core strength. Its a part of being bike fit but you can speed it up at the gym.

5. You should be using your stomach muscles to hold yourself up but if your legs are well behind you maybe thats not possible.Are you using your legs to grip the tank,that helps.Can you fit bar risers or height adjustable bars or just rotate the bars to a better angle. The obvious thing is to go back to standard pegs or modify them by moving them forward.

6. From your description it sounds like you are leaning on your bars.

You shouldn't have your weight on the bars. Any force on the bars should be for turning the bike only. If you aren't used to the position you will be almost certainly using the bars for support and this in turn will make your hands sore. Probably with time you will get used to the position and build up some core strength which means you can support without leaning.

As stated above the other usual cause is gripping hard in which case as has been said relax.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yes holding yourself up using your core muscles and inner thighs ( tank grips helps here) are 2 ways to stop sore hands. I do both but my right thumb and wrist would still ache from an old off until i bought Alpinestars gp pro gloves they have alot of support around the thumb and wrist area and seem to have stopped the soreness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Cheers guys. I have pretty strong stomache muscles and strong legs. I will try a few different things. As stated my back never gets sore only my hands. I do find sometimes I have to tell myself to stop gripping like I my life depends on it, but sitting up right on my bike doesn't feel natural.

9. there is another solution for sore wrists ........ uncle greguncle greg you can take it from here :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Saw the thread title, saw who'd made the last post...had to click the thread link. ;-) :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  11. The main solution was mentioned by everyone already. It will get better as you get more saddle time. I used to squeeze the life outta my poor bike, and my thumb used to go numb... You do need to be bike-fit!

One more thing, check if your gloves are not too tight, as stitching coming over some blood vessels and nerves leading to thumb can interfere with blood supply and pinch a nerve. My summer pair used to be a bit too tight and used to cause pain in both hands.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. not due to vibrations?

• Like Like x 1
  13. No the vibration is pretty good actually. Even with throttle wide open it doesn't vibrate heaps.

14. My gloves are tightish. They leave lines all over my hands, however the next size up bunched up around my 4th and 5th finger and I knew it would annoy me. I would wear my mountain bike gloves if they had some protection. Then again given I aim not to crash, I am tempted to wear them.

15. Quick Greggy SBS food network there making 7 foot monster cakes!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. wear a thin pair of inners with a larger size glove

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. They will stretch further with use. Mine used to be like that, leave lines all over! Wear them at home, maybe even with wet thin cotton or merino liner gloves. It's like breaking in new leathers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. wrist flexibility or angle of your wrist?

• Like Like x 1
  19. I have to say I expected my left hand be more an issue. I broke it and removed the 4th knuckle from the joint downhill mountain biking 10wks ago. It only hurts from pulling the clutch.