Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Soon to be riding in Aus!!!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by sysie, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Hi guys.... I have been reading some of the threads on this forum and there is really valueble topics and discussions here..... so I joined !! :shock:

I am in the process of Migrating to Australia and the second thing I get once I arrive is a bike (first a is a place to stay, and park the bike :grin: )

I have a few initial questions that I hope to be helped with..

1. Can I ride in Aus with my current licence (South Africa) I know my drivers license (car or cage as u call it) will be valid... will my bike license be too ? ? ?
    2. I see big digits behind insurance..... do u pay insurance monthly or yearly ? ?
    3.How "bike friendly" is Aus espacially WA ? ?

Thanks Guys!!
  2. G'day.

Not sure about WA but I think in NSW they would get you to go along and do the provisional license test and if you pass they'd give you an unrestricted license.

I pay yearly insurance, some companies may have options for monthly.
  3. My friend from Croatia had his full license and all that over there, he simple came here, did the final motorbike computer test from the RTA (NSW) and got his full license (including motorbike) here, no questions.
  4. I'm pretty sure you can ride for a little while on your South Africa license, but you'll need a WA license after a few months. The DPI in Perth is *very* booked up, and it could take up to 3 months to book an assessment. If you're lucky you might be able to get a cancellation. Call them every day to check if you have to.

My friend at the DPI suggested that anyone who's not happy with the wait should write to their MP.

I can't comment on how bike friendly WA is compared to other places, cos I've only ever ridden here. I've parked in places that technically aren't proper parking bays, and ticket inspectors have just left it alone as long as it's out of the way.

The second hand market in WA is pretty small, so if you're after a specific type of bike be prepared to wait for one to come up, or buy new.