Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Soon to be new rider

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by TheEvilPenguin, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Hi,

I've been lurking a bit, but going to get my license Saturday and hopefully a bike the next weekend, so thought I should finally introduce myself.

Since it's looking like I'll be stuck on LAMS for 3 years, I'm looking at getting a CB400, or possibly ER-6nL.

2. Welcome to NR !
  3. Welcome to NR..
  4. Welcome, where are you from?
  5. Welcome to you, Evil Penguin.

"Stuck on LAMS for 3 years".... you make it sound like crucifixion. :]

6. Welcome, both bikes you mentioned are tops, cant go wrong really.
  7. Thanks everyone. I'm from Brooklyn, just West of Melbourne.

"...you make it sound like crucifixion. :]"
    I'm sure I'll still have plenty of fun :)

I think I'd be really happy with either bike, but leaning towards the Honda as I'm not sure about the restricted throttle. I'll need to test ride both before deciding, I think.
  8. I certainly hope you will, and wish you much joy of riding motorcycles.

It's just that so many new riders mumble on about LAMS bikes as if it was some kind of cross to bear.

You have to have a fairly flash (and expensive) car to out accelerate even a LAMS bike.
  9. Howdy, ride a few and pick one you like. You'll be surprised at just how much grunt a LAMS bike has, it'll be a while before you can use it all.
  10. Trust me the restricted throttle is not a big deal to begin with and when you feel like you can handle more grunt its easy to remove. I know its not the best advice for a noob but that's exactly what I did and I turned out OK......I think!!
  11. I suppose I'm slightly annoyed with myself because if I got in a few weeks earlier I'd only have one year of restrictions, but I mainly mean that because I'll have it for three years I'll get a nicer bike now rather than get a 250 and upgrade after my restrictions.

The plan is to keep everything legal. Knowing me, the day I took it off is the day I'd get a random roadworthy or someone would hit me and insurance would find out :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ones a twin, and ones a 4. Different characteristics on each. If you want twins, there's also the Honda 500's. Me, I chose the Cb400 :] You really cant go wrong with any of them.
    As always, you should try to test ride any on your list prior to purchase.
  13. Welcome to Nutrider! :wacky: