Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Soon to be new rider!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Ration, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster ;)

I've just moved into college in the ACT and am about to transfer licenses and in the process get my bike license (booked a stay upright course :) )

Always had a passion for bikes, from the first time we hooned around my mates farm on his old dirt bikes. Since then I was hooked, and have followed motogp and eagerly awaited my first bike purchase.

Anyway, currently have my eye on either an '02 RS125 going for $3200 or a '91 CBR250rr for $2700. I am well aware how often the CBR's are the first pick for learner riders and so tend to be violently thrashed and may end up costing me a fortune to have fixed up, and that the Aprilia requires engine rebuilds ~12000 and 30000 ks for top and bottom respectively.

My question to you NetRider: Is a saving of $500 worth the possible consquences of getting a possibly thrashed to pieces bike that only has a bit more grunt, or to I go for the sleeker, more modern Italian sportsbike?

2. go the RS, ill tell you why when I get to ride mine :)
  3. Hiya and welcome!

Aren't there newer CBR250s around??
  4. Welcome aboard mate.
    Apart from bike price differences (which don't indicate any accuracy of a bike's mechanics etc) or possibilities of a bike being thrashed, your best bet is to have a prospective bike looked over thoroughly before you commit to a purchase.
    Not all CBRs have been thrashed so you may luckily stumble on a well looked after keeper by perhaps investing some coin to have it examined carefully.
    Enjoy the forums.
  5. Welcome to NR.