Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

son cancelled day 2 of learner course

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by jphanna, Jun 13, 2013.

1. i hope he doesnt go on this forum......

last weekend my 19 YO son was supposed to be picking up a ninja 300, and rode as a learner rider for the first time.

a few days earlier he did day 1 of the course, and passed it.....

i was waiting for a phone call, around lunchtime, telling me how hard/easy/fun/nerve wracking it was.

i got a call at 2.00pm with a clearly distraught voice that he was not ready to go on the road. as a father i am releived in one way, that he is stalling, but also disppointed that he gave up.

i told him to do day 2, and then wait 3 months or longer before he bought a mbike and went on the road. he was adamant that he is not ready. i didnt argue.

i made sure that he wasnt cocky before he went to the course. i told him that i found it very difficult to do, and that it wasnt natural to me to learn a mbike. but then my wife went for it last year and breezed through it......he may have thought, 'if susan can do it, anyone can do it....'

anyway until he decides to go for it again, i dont have to worry about him on the road.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Honestly, it's probably a good decision. And it's a credit to him that he had the maturity to make it. I guess the best option would be more off road training if possible.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. +1 Agreed.

Some people just don't have the personality to ride.

I truly believe if you are not an over-observant, somewhat anal retentive sonofabitch, with a bit of healthy indignation - you should probably not be out on the road exposed everyday on a bike,

4. Wow a son that doesn't show off to his mates, that's rare these days :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Okay I'm going to offer a counterpoint here: you should encourage your son to complete the learner's permit course.

Remember that getting his L's is just the start of the learning process - it's a permit to learn, not proof that he's god's gift to two wheels. If he's too scared to get out on the road by himself, well, I can't really blame him because I was too. But unlike me, he has the advantage of a supportive bike-riding father who isn't thousands of kilometres away ... You could pick up his bike for him, go to a quiet car park together on the weekend and make baby steps towards getting him riding on the road in a way that he's comfortable with.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. hate to say it but he probbaly embaressed himself - i e. silly
    mistake like a prang - it happens due to pressure etc .
    imagine rocking up to the same group of people after doing
    something really silly.

im sure he will rebook and find it easier next time.

7. There's only one person who should decide whether to ride or not. That's one of the joys of riding. You should also be conscious of the consequences if things go awry doing this type of fun.
    It is a lottery on the road because the choice isn't yours of the consequences. The better rider doesn't always equate to the one that lives the longest.
    Until our attitudes change on the road it always will be a lottery.
    Read into that what you will.
    Over

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 Jem, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
    Good for him me thinks with the limited information we have about him.

I waited till I was 48 to get a bike because before that I knew I was not ready to have one. It has been a great 15 months figuring out how to survive on a daily commute and one that has been made easier by the advice and support from people on here.

Riding a bike on the road is in some ways a very selfish decision when you way up the risks of what car drivers do. If you are not sure of your ability to commit to the learning process then not a bad idea to put it off for a while.

I hope he does change his mind and takes the course again, I for one would not give up the pleasure I now get for mastering a new skill in my riding.

Cheers Jeremy

• Like Like x 1
  9. My suggestion is to wait a couple of weeks then ask a bit more about what happened on the course. He may be able to process that a bit more over time and you could maybe help him explore his thoughts. Even better, would be to have someone else talk with him, maybe someone who did not have so much invested in him riding.

You may find that he has only done the course to please his Dad.

10. Sorry that your son has decided not to take up riding at the moment.. hope he changes his mind.

its funny how you have reacted to him not wanting to do it, when i first got my license a few years ago and a couple months into riding i crashed my first bike (gn250 lol) at about 60k round a corner hit gravel etc.. anyway i rang dad cause i didn't want to ride it home, and hes like is the bike able to be ridden home? ( had no mirrors and indicators and steering was bent etc.. and i had gravel rash and all the fun stuff)

he told me that if i didn't hop back on the bike and ride it home, i probably wouldn't ever get back on a bike... so i did what he said and i haven't crashed since..

and i really enjoy riding... and hopefully soon dad will get back on a bike.

in MY OPINION i think you should try and give him some positives and maybe get him back to the course to at least get his license.. but each persons different i guess.

11. #11 dgmeister, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
    captain freakin obvious here; traffic is dangerous, personally i will never feel comfortable around car traffic or commuting on a bike. riding the bike without cagers around is danger enough for the best of us!

learning to ride away from cars on dirtbikes and track days is a lot more fun!
    (i assume he is a pre beginner rider, and hasn't been racing dirt for 15 years)

IMO the road is not for learning to ride, unless you out in the country roads

remember when you were a kid on a pushie? you gotta fall off a couple dozen times before you learn how to hold the thing upright, better away from cars

• Like Like x 1
  12. I'm calling either troll or maybe unco.

I can't recall falling off my pushie very much as a kid, and certainly learnt to ride a bike on roads without falling off LOL.

I'm guessing a few others on here managed to learn on the roads too.

13. This may come as a surprise to the assembled multitudes of NR, but
    not everyone in the world likes riding motorbikes.

If the bloke doesn't want to do it, he doesn't want to do it, and that should be the end of the story.

Maybe he'll change his mind at some later date, maybe he won't.

It's his decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I don't enjoy it much anymore and haven't ridden on the road for fun in years. I have to ride everyday for work. Actually haven't ridden unless I'm being paid too this year and very few times last year.
    I enjoy riding alone best. Where you can be really in the zone and nothing else matters. Just what the bike and stop watch are telling you.
    In all my years of licensing there is only two people I told shouldn't ride. One was a seventeen year old idiot and the other a 67 y/o mad Irish grandmother who just kept arguing with me. Seven lessons and we still couldn't do a slow speed crawl let alone a fig 8. She got her license from another school strait away. She came to show me and thought she was so smart and clever. She made herself out to be the idiot she was and it didn't take long for her to go out infront of a bus on a roundabout.

I would be proud with your son and am with my kids. They have a lot more sense than me now and what I did at their age.

15. You mate, are either perfect or a perfect dick, and I know what Im leaning toward. Since when has the world evolved around what you think you can do? All people are different, if you havent noticed. Thats what makes the world fun. The dgmeister has it right. Safety is good, not my cup o tea. but still good. And I know why you cant remember falling off ya bike as a kid, you landed on your head the first time.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Your son has a good head on his shoulders and when he's willing, he'll be back doing the L's again.

I'm thinking he just doesn't want to ride right now.

When I got my L's, I knew I was not ready for the road. I was thinking it was crazy for anyone without any prior riding experience to get on the roads after passing the L's course alone.

However, because I really wanted to ride, I had the dealership where I bought my bike deliver it to my home (I didn't even test ride it, since I wasn't confident enough to get onto Paramatta Rd), but continued practicing on the side streets, till I was comfy enough to get on the main roads.

So, as someone else stated above, I'd encourage him that he's not expected to be road ready just because he's gotten his L's and there's more work that needs to be done. But if it's just something that he doesn't want to do right now, then let it be, and I'm sure when he really wants to do it, he'll tackle it with ease, and you can be sure he'll be safer in the long run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. well its great to see so many views and i appreciate all of them.

bottom line....he said he is going to get on off road bike to hone his skills. his boss has an off road bike and will help him learn. his boss is a better dad to him , than me!!! he is lucky to have a boss like that.

his record to date withy other aspects of sport/travel.fun

kneeboarding - got up first time and stayed up
    wakeboarding - got up FIRST TIME....and stayed up!!!
    drivers licence - breezed though it
    jet ski licence - breezed though it

but to learn a push bike way back in the 90's took him (and me to teach him) a whole year to do it..... a whole year!!

he will get there, but PHIL01....i also suspect he muffed up somethng at the day 1, and didnt want to face the others.

he will get there. he is determined to get a Mbike, but i wont push him.

18. I think I would have not continued riding after my Learners class (was one day only) as I found it really hard I had already bought my motorbike (an impulsive decision) so I felt obliged to persist. For me it was that the controls of the bike were so unnatural I knew I was spending too much time focusing on them and therefore would be rubbish in traffic. I didn't think they would ever come naturally. I had a hard time learning to drive a manual car too initially (but have owned manual cars for last seven years).

After a few weeks of practice going around quiet backstreets, I slowly ventured further away from home and into more traffic and now I have no issues. That took about a month of solid riding. My boyfriend followed me around too so you could do the same for your son.

Is it that he can't control the bike well as can you go to somewhere off road and get him used to it? My boyfriend took me to a friend's farm and his friend let me ride around and around a field on an ag bike which helped me learn the controls as well.

I think find out the reason why he doesn't want to continue. He might have done something embarrassing like drop it and lost a lot of confidence as well. But I think it is not surprising that some people would be put off initially from riding as it can be quite hard for some people to learn.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. There was a time when shopping centre car parks were empty on a Sunday.I would do circle work and figure 8s getting as tight as possible.Its great he is doing the offroad,ask Kenny Roberts how that works out.Its the key to being the best you can be on a bike.And then there is traffic,I still avoid it if I can.Smart kid,good to see one with a brain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Is it just me or is there a vicarious undertone emerging here?