Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

sometimes I think the right to vote should not be automatic

Discussion in 'Jokes and Humour' started by ibast, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Found this on the Advertising Standards Board website

This television advertisement emaphasises Woolworths as the Fresh Food people and depicts scenarios where, if one could, one would grow their own fresh food, but in situations where it is not possible, Woolworths can do it for you. Scenarios include a little boy trying to grow an avocado from a pip, a young girl retrieving eggs from a hen house, a man and his daughter fishing from a runabout, a family collecting shellfish from a beach, and a woman offering home-grown vegetables/herbs to her neighbour.

A sample of comments which the complainant/s made regarding this advertisement included thefollowing:
    We found the ad offensive, and humiliating for the little girl, because at the end of the ad, as she is running away from the chickens, blood can be seen between her legs, as though she has her period. We found this highly inappropriate for an ad with the emphasis on young children.

Comments which the advertiser made in response to the complaint/s regarding this advertisement included the following:
    There is no "blood" - what the complainant appears to have seen is a "flash" of the 'red neck" of the chasing chicken.

Thankfully the board dismissed it.
  2. Sounds like a Harold Scruby complaint...
  3. How much 'compensation' was the complainant claiming?
  4. Can't do it through the standard complaint method. You would have to sue.

So I think it was pure stupidity.
  5. Hahaha. This is the tip of the iceberg.
  6. Makes you wonder about the thought process of the complainant.

Sod the Clean Feed, if you want to catch paedos' I'd take a trip round their house...
  7. Yep there was some good ones in there.

Some tool complained about the watermelon not being properly secured in the car.

8. ... well that is just pure neglingence!! :shock: ... I mean a watermelon not properly secured in a car is a missile waiting to happen... and at the very least... it's neglect of the watermelon's rights of safe passage!!.....:p

..and I hope that no produce was harmed in making that ad...
  9. Lol, ive lost a little more respect for the human race.
  10. How bored were you???????
  11. OK I'll admit it. I was posting a complaint. The reverse sexism used by advertisers finally got to me.

It was a print ad with the slogan; "Not just fool proof, but male proof".

So I've joined the crazies.
  12. any room left?
  13. Nah, you have been appointed our leader, go get em.
  14. So I got this reply from the ASB:

"Section 2.1 of the Code states:
    "Advertising or marketing communications shall not portray people or depict material in a way
    which discriminates against or vilifies a person or section of the community on account of race, ethnicity, nationality, sex, age, sexual preference, religion, disability or political belief."

Some members of the Board felt that the caption in the ad was suggesting that men cannot cook and was patronising. However, the majority of the Board agreed that it was intended to be an affectionate dig in the ribs and not taken offensively. The Board noted that the advertisement was placed in
    a cooking magazine, with a significant readership of women. The Board considerd that the advertisement was depicting a stereotypical characteristic of men (that they cannot cook) but that the
    depiction was clearly lighthearted a not a serious suggestion that all men cannot cook or that men are unintelligent.

Finding that the advertisement did not breach the Code on other grounds, the Board dismissed the complaint."

You tell me if that's right.
  15. lets stick a woman joke in a car or bike mag and check.
  16. The thread title had me set for a political discussion :soapbox: but alas I got myself over excited ;). Honestly though I don't think you should worry about the complainant and their use of their ballot paper. They'll still be stuck in the voting booth long after the polls have closed trying to work out which end of the pencil to use...
  17. The right to vote... the right to have children... the right to.. ah never mind me.