Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Something to think about

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by RoderickGI, Mar 30, 2009.

1. While we all have stories to complain about other drivers, have a think about this situation. Not my near miss, but I certainly watched one.

I was heading home from a look at the Formula One race, sitting at a red light, in the right hand lane of Kings Way heading North, on the corner of Albert Road, at the North East corner of Albert Park. I had a right hand turn lane to my right.

In my right mirror I see a motorcycle hammering up between waiting cars, working really hard to avoid hitting mirrors, since there really wasn't enough space to filter at that speed. No problems, I think, I'll just say G'Day when he pulls up beside me, since I am in the centre of my lane, and there is plenty of room for him to stop without blocking the right turn lane.

Nup. He arrives at the intersection, and shoots straight into it. He sees a car turning right from Albert Road to the left, and countersteers hard to the left to avoid becoming a hood ornament. He looks over his left shoulder as a he countersteers. Then, even though there is another car turning right only a car length behind the first, he countersteers hard to the right and through the gap, then shoots off down the road at speed. I thought he had admirable control, in that he didn't pull a very big wheelie as he accelerated away.

I can only assume that he was trying to get away from someone, and it could have been another bike which turned up at the intersection very soon after he left, which filtered to the front, and turned left as soon as the lights changed.

If his life or licence wasn't in danger because he was being chased, then they certainly both were from his riding. He was a bloody idiot, and very nearly became a bloody mess on the front of a car.

Maybe he would write up his near miss differently, but I hope there are only a few riders who ride like that in traffic.
  2. Sounds like he was 'riding it as though he'd stolen it'....

Graham :wink:
  3. I guess he could well have been, literally. Maybe that is what the second bike was about. Someone chasing a stolen bike for a mate.

Silly thing is, there were heaps of cops around the F1 track. He was lucky there were none near that corner.
  4. RoderickGI,

Truly amazing ! I think, as you said, it's more luck that got him through that intersection, even though it sounds as though he had impressive handling skills. I guess adrenaline can 'sometimes' be our 'best friend'. Only in measured doses though, I'd assume.
    Still in Templestowe ?- mate, when are we going riding ???
    I'm next planning to be in Melbourne around Anzac day - maybe we could terrorize Foote St at 1am ? :LOL:

Safe riding,
  5. I think sometimes we all get a bit silly.

I was riding great the whole trip to uni but one bad decision near the end of the trip saw me having to make a few riskay decisions.

Split past a bus on the left with low vis, i knew i had to turn right, the lights went green, i'm like shite gotta get in that lane, the only spot was cutting off the guy at the front of the que for turning right, didn't want to annoy him with this so i gave him room then hooked it into a deep lean to shoot through a gap i wouldn't normally take to turn.

It was a good adrenalin shot, probably looked cool but i felt like a bloody goose afterwards and thought to myself "i really could have waited the 20 seconds and avoided this..." :LOL:

Point is sometimes it happens, some more than others, the best thing to do is to identify that you were silly and not think you are rossi from it. I quite nearly became a metal sandwich and should have known better.
  6. +1 to that.

We've all seen videos on Youtube, DVDs like Ghostrider, showing just what a bike can do when sensibility and risk-adversity go out the window. Motorcycles have the potential to execute all kinds of potentially dangerous maneuvers that larger vehicles cannot.

And since the bike's size and performance aren't going to prevent us doing something stupid, it's up to us to look out for ourselves.
  7. I've had a few "shit i should have done that moments" thankfully they are getting fewer and fewer.
  8. Why oh why don't I get notifications of new posts, even on a thread that I start! Shrugs.

Knickers, I'll only just be back from overseas on the 25th, so I don't think I'll be terrorising Foote St.! More like sleeping to recover. :oops:

Not4Resale, the difference between an old rider, and a dead rider, is their observation skills, and ability to know when an action is just too risky. You know you could have just gone straight through the intersection, and made a U-Turn a little further on, even if it meant arriving at your destination a little late. Arrive alive! :grin:

Good to hear you may be learning, before you become part of the later group.
  9. my tip for the day: dont drink red bull before a commute in heavy traffic :shock:

i normally live on the stuff when clubbing, it keeps me going when im tired. but when i already have plenty of energy, well it seemed to have a fair effect lol.

i do like to keep moving through traffic, and am happy filtering/carving it up a bit, but i sure know i did some stupid things the other day on the way home from work.

its when you really stop and think, wow i saved XX seconds from my commute time, was it really worth it? you realise it isnt. arrive alive :)
  10. If we're lucky, we make these mistakes and live to tell the tale (and learn from it). It's our 'Eureka!' moment, when we discover that actually arriving is the reason for our trip.

I ended up on the opposite side of the road, on an embankment, in my car, having just had the skills of a HGV driver save my life. That was mine, changed how I drove totally (I was a service rep and doing 80k a year). I was lucky, I nearly ended up being a hood ornament on a 42 tonne truck.