Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Something of which to be aware

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by hornet, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Yesterday rding through Sydney on the way back from Newcastle, I had a re-currence of the famous Hornet thermo fans non-cooperation. Some desperate splitting got me to Heathcote where a combination of cooling weather and thinning traffic got me off the hook.

This morning I took the bike round to my mechanic, and expected to have a billl for some searching through the electrical system. But, no, that wasn't the case at all.

Seems that on the Pink Piggy ride I had got a heap of stones and gravel thrown up into the fan shroud, and the electrics were fine, but the fan blades themselves were jammed and unable to turn.

It could happen to you too, best check, eh??
  2. Thermo fan

Very common occurance in Triumph triples.
  3. Nothing wrong with a STONES fan ...
    :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
    Glad it was only a minor hiccup Paul :)
  4. hornet600 .... you ROCK

5. I should ride to Adelaide and slap you on the back of the head for that :rofl:.
  6. And if you do find your fan jammed, unjam it now, because if it tries to cut in and can't turn, you'll probably cook the fan motor, which could be expensive.
  7. I'm surprised that rocks can get there.
  8. Hmmm, a thread about Paul getting his rocks off....... :shock:
  9. Do we call you Paul or Pebbles now :LOL:
  10. Triumph fan was on a fuse which protected the fan motor. There was a spare fuse provided in the fuse box (thankee, Triumph!) but I think I replaced it about ten times over the period of ownership. Always a stone in the fan.
  11. Not to labour the point, but one of the accessories I bought for the bike when I first got it was a Fenda-Extanda, precisely because the standard front guard does 5/10s of nothing to keep stuff off the pipes and out of the motor area. Seems like I might have to put and extender on the Extenda :LOL:.
  12. Either buy or make a stoneshield Paul. That will prevent the expensive aluminium radiator repair.
  13. The bike has a shield on the FRONT of the radiator; these resourceful stones got in BEHIND the radiator and jammed the fan. See, no good can come from riding on dirt roads :LOL:.
  14. Dirt bikes are made for dirt roads, I reckon.
  15. You need a radiator guard Paul, and I don't mean a $195 piece of mesh!
    Head down to Stupid Cheap, buy some fully sik ricer mesh, cut to size with tin snips, and cable tie to radiator frame.
    Or, space the fan away from teh radiator a little with washers.

Regards, Andrew.
  16. Err, it should be done a little more carefully than that.
  17. Also, an idea may be to put a rubber lip across the top of the rad to stop stones falling between. shouldn't cost more then a buck or three from your local rubber shop. (Anything that's good for up to about 150 degrees should be fine)