Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Something I learnt today

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by geeth, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Today I went out for a ride because I change the brake pads and needed to bed them in and well because I had a day off work.

Most rides I will learn something new, but just because I learnt it doesn't mean that it's an obvious learn (if that makes sense) but this was one of the few times where I had a sudden realisation that was very obvious.

I was riding down beechmont road which is a recently re-sealed tight set of 30 - 40 km/h rated twisted about 10 km in length. I was traveling through and suddenly realised what my issue with cornering has been...

Looking at the corner not through it.

Everytime that I approched the corner I would look at the other side of the corner and worry about how tight it was and that I might not make it at speed so I would roll off and not roll back on in time. (Note: this doesn't happen with long sweepers, just short tight ones).

I started looking past the apex and as far as I possibly could through the corner and my confidence at speed was increased, I was winding the throttle on before the corner and continuing consistant roll on throught and my line was much more steady and precise.

I was a little concerned before today that if I didn't look at the apex I couldn't just when to turn, but found imediately that I knew when the apex was, the side of the road and shape of the corner from looking at it on approach and I didn't need to look at it for long to pick up enough information to corner safely and know what to do if someone comes into my lane etc.

I know most of this has been covered before in the corner 10x posts, but as most people know, it's one thing to read it and another to put in use practically and finally understand was you are doing wrong.

This gave me a much better understanding of looking through the corner, using periferal (think that's spelt right) vision and another saying I read ( think on NR) "where ever your bike is, your mind should have been 5 seconds before"
  2. Mere mortals like you, me and Gibernau have to look through the corner. God simply stares the apex down into submission.

3. That's hilarious !
  4. That's commitment in it's purest form. (Rossi)

Geeth! There you go mate - well done, you just jumped to that next level. Now you can practice it, because you've identified and experienced the immediate benefit, first hand :)

Here's an interesting thought for you...by looking further up the road, you are seeing things earlier, and have therefore given yourself more time to react or adjust trajectory etc.

In effect, that extra time you gained, by looking further ahead, is the same amount of time you would gain, if you were to slow down an equivalent amount.

What does that mean? It means that you've boosted your safety margin. And when the time comes, you will be able to trade that extra time, for additional speed, while still remaining inside your new and improved safety margin :))

Cool stuff! :))

5. BWHAHAHAHAHAHHA That is gold!!!

Thanks for the input Raven, good post as always.
  6. because Chuck Norris told him he doesn't like straight roads
  7. Good stuff Geeth!! Its always a rewarding ride when you come home having improved your riding.
    Next we have to get you to a trackday mate.... hows the 31st for you? lol
  8. Geeth,

i have been there as well & had problem looking at the corner & not exactly where i was going.

After years of correcting myself as a car driver I have finally got it down pat after riding a bike for the last 12 months.

I have noticed i can anticipate problems ahead alot sooner & do not have to break hard at all to avoid problems...i can also get around corners / chicanes in car & bike much swifter. I have noticed people tailing me fall behind every turn only to have to break the speed limit to catch up.

It is a very important basic driving/riding skill. & remember to keep your head level.

My next big learning leaps where:
    1.slow in fast out....setting up speed before the turn then rolling on the throttle smoothly on the way out....
    2. stick my neck & shoulders out into the direction i want to go, with my head past the mirror.
    3.once i learnt no.1 & 2 i then i learnt to setup my body before the turn during the breaking phase by sliding my butt over to be inline with my head.
    4. Now i am trying to learn to sit back further & use my knees to hang of not my arms...this one is hard. ( i will save this one for track days!!!)

i used to have issues going around roundabouts & slower turns, used to have to lean the bike right over.....now i love it & the bike stays alot more upright

anyway hope this helps...

if anyone thinks this is incorrect riding technique please let me know...
  9. Heather found out the hard way today, looked at the gutter and promptly fell into it,
    No injuries worth mentioning,and a few minor scratches on the bike,
    Too slow and in too high a gear, she is learning slowly, but you cant tell some one untill it happens, telling doesnt mean any thing until they actually do it,
    Ah, now I know what you have been saying to me,
    Roll off, roll on, accelerate out of the corner,
    And be in the right gear when you do it,
    And look at the vanishing point of the road, not the gutter,
    She's got the message now,
    Still not bad for a totally novice learner with 1500 kays under her,
    Riding through both Spurs, is giving her the confidence and skills she needs,

Strange things the eyes, you will go where your looking, Look at the vanishing point, you will make the corner easily,
    Look at the gutter, you will end up in it,
    Look at the pot hole you want to miss, bang. your in it,