Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Something forgotten...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Bumble Beemer, Nov 7, 2015.

1. #1 Bumble Beemer, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    My beloved daughter recently came very close to disaster in her car.
    She rolled slowly through a give-way sign and turned left - with an earful of abuse from a rider who had to swing sharply around her. Think it was along the lines of "Ya f.....g stupid blind moll c..t how'd ya get ya f.....g licence" or words to that effect.

I wonder how much further he travelled with his left-hand indicator flashing...

It's not ALWAYS the cage driver's fault! ;-)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Mmmm - yes to some extent. But you also have to take into account speed of approaching bike/car with its indicator on. I don't trust anyone so will wait until I'm sure it is actually turning before pulling out - and I'm sure most bikers would do the same. Unfortunately most cagers don't have the same sense of self preservation...

Hopefully your daughter will file that one in the memory banks and not have to cop another undeserved spray sometime in the future.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. Agree that you can never trust a left blinker and even if they do slow down which is a good indication, there are times they change their mind. Tricky. But I can't help chuckling at the thought of the rider's embarrassment when he finally realises he's left his blinker on. Helmets are good for covering red faces!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. IMO both are right.

As a driver it is prudent not to trust a left flashing indicator - however there should be no expectation or obligation on any drivers that they should be expected to ignore the indicator by the rider or other driver either.

To me it's no different to going through a set of traffic lights. It's prudent to check to make sure no one is running a red light, but you'd be a dingbat to run a red light and abuse others for not giving way to you.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. It's called an 'indicator', if it guaranteed the manoeuvre it would be a 'definitely'

I've had a similar incident in the past but car on car. Was an important part of my on-road learnings. I hope your daughter can apply it as a positive learning experience too.

Bad form for the biker for the offensive personal attack, especially as he contributed to the situation.
  6. Agreed!

....................... and it is a tad embarrassing when you look down on a straight road and see the green light winking at you "faaaaark, how long has that fcuker been on??"
    • Agree Agree x 1