Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Someone up there doesn't like me..

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Greydog, Jun 15, 2011.

1. So today was going to be a sunny winter day, and the morning wasn't too cold. A good day to ride to work, and I took the opportunity.

However, I have come to the conclusion that there are powers greater than I that are telling me it isn't a good idea. I've done it twice now, and something has happened to me both times.

First time was the infamous Tuesday learner ride when I hit a pothole whilst pulling up and ended up in the dirt. I rode to work that day.

Today I rode to work, and decided to leave early and call into Peter Stevens to replace the brake lever bent in the above altercation with the dirt. All went well, altho the traffic made me a bit nervous, and the entry to their service center is a wicked carpark driveway that must incline at around 50 degrees. Had visions of running into a pile of very nice bikes at the top, followed by a trip thru the glass service desk window. No, all OK.

However, the way home was another matter. After a mixup with a hook turn (which normally don't bother me), I got onto Citylink at the Exhibition St extension. Those who know the area will know that the single lane entrance spits you out into the right hand lane of the freeway, whilst the traffic coming out of the tunnel ends up in the left two lanes.

Right then, I decided to run out of fuel.

To be sure, I was in the process of testing the milage, but I didn't think it would happen so early (294km). I was planning on doing a local ride to use up the juice, but obviously stuffed that up.

So I'm in the RHS lane, packing myself. Managed to get over to the left (how I didn't get wiped out I don't know), but there's NO emergency lane. I was right under the Macrobertson St bridge. Now what? I couldn't get off the bike as I was jammed up against the wall on one side, and too close to the traffic on the other. Spotted the emergency lane starting about 50m ahead, and paddled my way towards it, hoping that no one was going to smear me over the freeway. Once in the emergency lane, I breathed a sigh of relief and got off. Hit the reserve, but she still woudn't start; probably flat battery (hazards etc, and battery was dodgy).

Called RACV, who called Citylink Response. The response unit arrived, but it was a hook tow - no use to me. He called up someone, and eventually the bike trailer arrived. They took me to the Mobil servo around the corner on Toorak Rd, where I was met by a flat towtruck (called by RACV). I filled her up, but she still wouldn't start, so got a tow home (I don't know how to push start). Traffic was terrible due to accident on the Monash - just my luck.

The only positive was that Peter Stevens didn't charge me anything. I already had the brake lever, it just needed to be put on.

I'm hoping it was only a flat battery that caused it not to start - it didn't even turn over, just clicked. I'm pretty sure the fuel tap was set correctly b/c I checked it a couple of weeks ago against the book. I haven't changed it since I bought the bike.

Should I quit while I'm ahead, or see if I can kill myself next time?

2. :) These things make us stronger.
  3. #3 joetdm, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Nah just keep at it. Its all learning and what happened today is stuff you'll laugh at in time...
  4. i live in your ceiling space and i like you plenty
  5. Once I got into the emergency lane, I started laughing.

Before that, I was damn terrified.

And, referring to another thread, I can tell you that no one stopped for this size 26 girl, although I did get one nod LOL. Just as well; it was really too dangerous for anyone to stop there.

ETA: Scratch the other thread comment - that was on another forum! Sorry about that.
  6. days like that happens...........anything that happens, just think someone somewhere is doing it harder. Anyway these days pass with no ongoing consequence, years later you can make that into a great story and laugh about it with your kids.
  7. Well, you may have been terrified but it sounds like you handled it fine. And if you can handle all that well, good on 'ya. Now that you have had your baptism by fire let the good times roll.

Surprises me that no one stopped. Here in Canberra if a rider pulls over for any reason at all other riders pull up all the time to check on them. If you break down people even offer to bring a trailer to pick you up. Especially if you have a L or P plate.

Anyway, as others said, you'll laugh about this in the not too distant future. Glad you got home ok.
  8. Keep at it Greydog, these things happen!
    I live in your area, would you like me to come over and teach you how to push start? It's really easy (depending on the bike)!
  9. Hey, I'm laughing now. Once I was out of the way of the cars, it was all OK and I could handle it from there with the help of the Citylink guys (who were awesome BTW).

It was only the first bit that was scary b/c I really didn't know how to get out of the situation. I couldn't get off the bike; I couldn't find the fuel tap from where I was seated - if I had, it might have been OK b/c I wouldn't have used the hazards, and would have started again straight away. I couldn't leave the bike. Just as well I had my phone; I nearly forgot it this morning b/c I'd left it in the car overnight. That would have been a hellava lot worse.

ETA: the line about giving it up was rhetorical. I won't be stopping any time soon :)
  10. Thanks @Kernel . I don't have the bike at the moment, but when I get it back, I'll take you up on that.
  11. That was you I saw on my way home, sorry I couldn't come across to help I was in the far right coming from the swan street entrance and would have had to cut across 4 lanes and still end up near the burnley on ramp..
    You created quite a little disturbance, they even had a lane closed just for you :)
  12. Yep, that was me. No, it was too dangerous to do anything.

I heard they closed the left lane (not that anyone noticed), reduced the speed on the variable speed signs to 60kph (not that anyone noticed), and I made the radio traffic report.
  13. Yep it wasn't the safest place to stop but you positioned yourself very well.
  14. Alright well just shoot me a PM when you're ready.
  15. Ah, bad days. We've all been there. Hang in there Greydog :beer:

I wonder if your trouble starting the bike is related to mine?

I ran out of fuel 2 weeks into my L's, dove right into the deep end and began commuting to work. On the way home one night after visiting a lady, close to midnight down the m4 in sydney, pouring rain, on my way to the servo, aware i needed refueling.

Bike ran out of gas right in front of the blue 'service station 1km' sign. Pulled over to switch to reserve, only to discover that i had turned it from my prior fill up and forgot to switch it back.

My arms were killing by the time i had managed to drag the bike to the servo, soaked through the skin because of the rain. Afterwards i spent the next 10 minutes trying to start her up - she just wouldn't kick. Eventually i started playing with the throttle as i turned the engine - until she finally started again.
  16. You probably didn't see the position I was in at the start. Nor the manouvre I had to do to get there.

Thank you to the cages who managed to avoid me (all of them, luckily).

And now guess who's going to practice turning on the fuel tap from a sitting position???
  17. A colleague of mine made the traffic report, thankfully you did so for reasons unlike him.

As for push starting a bike the best advice is the same I was given - don't do it in first gear, third is probably better. Another suggestion is based on something that floats around here a lot - practice it some where safe at a time when you don't HAVE to. Better to learn it the easier way rather than the other option.

Lastly the fuel range test. Only base your range on the capacity of the main tank and not inclusive of the reserve and once at the servo remember, remember, remember to turn the fuel tap back to main or you'll make the mistake we've all done and you'll be paddling again lol

Keep at it and you'll soon have all those rookie things covered and will be wondering why you ever stressed about it.
  18. I don't think so, although it's a possibility. I know I checked the fuel tap not long ago, b/c I was trying to teach myself how it should go (the shape of the knob makes the setting a bit ambiguous). Also, when I tried to start it, it wasn't actually trying to turn over - flat battery clicking evident. I tried using the throttle, but it didn't make any difference b/c it wasn't even trying to start.
  19. fuel tank clogged with gunk?

glad you're safe! and no one stopped cause you didn't show any leg ;)
  20. ^^^ Bwahahaha

If I showed some leg, there'd be a freeway full of stone statues LOL.