Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Someone tried to hotwire my bike?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by cas, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Went out to my bike this afternoon and found this.....

gx1qyNx0.

Cant really tell from the crappy ph camera shot but on the left is a bunch of wires in a plastic box hanging down and on the right is some sort of wireing........be nice, I know nothing about bike mechanics, lol. But, to me it looks like someone has tried to hotwire the bike. Thoughts? Will this be easy to fix, or is it gonna cost me a bucketload? The bike starts fine and sounds ok when revved. Obviously cant take it anywhere, the casing for the wires is sitting on top of the engine thingi so the plastic will melt if the engine gets hot, not to mention might fall off!!!

Appreciate any thoughts, advice from the ones in the know, thanks!!

2. no idea, there is a quicker way to start a bike than hotwire it. I'd get some decent electrical tape, and tape it back up, then go to a wreckers for a replacement cover.

3. What area are you in? I'm sure there'll be a knowledgable Netrider nearby that can make a simple repair such as that for 1/2 dozen beers.

4. Thanks for the reply guys......

Johnny O, I'm in Deer Park.....and there would be a slab on offer for anyone that can fix it for me, :LOL: ........

Feeling very lost with the bike not being rideable atm :(

5. If there are any plugs that look like they've been pulled apart, put them back together. If not, just tape or zip-tie them away from the engine. Then check that the electrics work as they should. If so, its probably just a factory clip/zip tie/bit of tape that has let go.