Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Someone broke my ignition

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Moorf, Aug 6, 2010.

1. If anyone can offer some advice I’d much appreciate it.

I ride a 2002 CBR 600F4i to work every day (Hawthorn, Melbourne). On Monday night I went to ride home and some nice person had jammed an icy-pole stick in my ignition barrel and snapped it off. It was compacted in there tight, but I managed to remove all the wood I could see with some small tools. The key will go in the ignition, but won’t turn.

I ended up getting the bike towed home in case someone planned on making it un-rideable so they could come back and steal it.

The steering lock is stuck on, which makes moving it and getting the barrel off a big job, (the steering lock bolt prevents the triple clamp from lifting off). I’ve talked to a few automotive locksmiths and Honda service centers and they all seem to confirm that the barrel has to come off – to be fixed or replaced.

I don’t know if the barrel can be switched over but keep all the HISS (Honda Ignition Security System) parts the same.

Any help would be great.

2. I reckon you've still got a bit of wood in there that is jamming one or more of the pins. I'd try getting it off and having the locksmith look at it, clean it out. It was only an ice cream stick so it shouldn't have done any damage, but you won't know unless it is looked at