Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Some things don't change, but some have

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Apr 25, 2008.

1. This from the August 1979 copy of REVS I found in the garage this morning. (racing stuff posted in "The Way we Were".)

Novice rider fatality

A YOUNG Perth man died after colliding with a car in Victoria Park, Perth after buying a new machine and riding it about 100 metres.
    The 24 year-old man had bought a Yamaha 650 from a dealer in Albany Highway and had ridden along Rushton Street before being involved in a collision with a car at the intersec-tion with Shepperton Road.
    An eye witness said the rider had approached the intersection at speed, failed to stop for a stop sign, looked hesitantly across the road but did not appear to brake.
    Perth City Coroner WG. Wickens found that Peter Benjamin Mignon died because he was an inexperienced rider and was not wearing a safety helmet when his motorcycle collided with a car. The deceased did not hold a motorcycle licence.

And, please, this is NOT a rider-down thread! :LOL:.

2. So you knew the guy, huh?? ;-)

Albury' previous (3rd dealer back) Honda dealer, Stan Steen, simply wouldn't sell a bike to someone if he wasn't sure they could ride it competently.

He was unusual in that.

Paul, in regard to your thread topic, I'm not sure that generalisations can be relied upon, well, not like they could in the good old days.

Cheers

Trevor G

PS Since Stan's passing in the 80s Albury has managed to field 2 failed Honda dealerships. The first, which featured the most up-to-date showroom in the country (or so I am lead to believe) only lasted about 18 months.

The second failed just a few weeks ago after 18 years or so. The death of a dealershp is hard, too.

3. Albury?? Albany in the text :?

At least riders now have to have a permit, and are limited to 250cc, so that's changed. Unfortunately, riders are still finding ways of eliminating themselves from the race of life, and that hasn't.

And since it was 30 years ago, and a coroner has already delivered a verdict, I guess there's not too much speculation there..... :)

4. WA, even.

I know. I was just commenting on the lack of scruples which allowed the dill to get the bike and ride it away.

And pointing out how scruples which might have eliminated some business and profit for him still allowed a motorcycle dealer in Albury to prosper and flourish.

His successors have failed, even though they were nice-enough people and probably didn't sell bikes to people who couldn't really ride them.

Cheers

Trevor G

5. If the bike was new, then I'm pretty sure I worked at that dealership from '73 to '75 as a junior. I have fond memories of my time there and none of the guys there could be described as sharks. From memory, the 1st year 250cc restriction in WA came in during 1974 and compulsory helmets sometime before that, maybe around '72. Medical helmet exemptions (Doc, they give me a headache) were available. Licences were always checked for test rides but if a cash buyer walks in and says 'That one' then I suppose not. I remember we used to send a lot of bikes off by rail to farmers which could be called 'Mail order' so we would never see the customer. The industry is a lot more professional now but shouldn't be required to protect adults from their own stupidity.

6. It's a fair point you make, Trevor, and I wasn't seeking to qualify it in any way. And the story is 30 years old; when I got my license I could have bought an XS-650 straight off too! Although in NSW helmets were already compulsory.