Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Some riders have it coming

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Nakkas, Aug 27, 2008.

1. I was most infuriated at the rider who did his very best to get me to kill him 2 nights ago.

I was the only car on the 3 lane M1 heading back from Geelong at 2am, travelling in the left lane (cage) with the cruise at 100kmh.

I have a rider come up from behind me going 130 or so in the middle lane and then dropping back into my blind spot in the middle lane, towards the left side of the lane.

So he's just sitting in my blind spot, when a rigid truck merges into the highway, traveling at about 80km/h.

Naturally, my first reaction was to change lanes, but I remembered the bike (who I could neither see nor hear) and did 2 head checks just to make sure he was there.

Sure as shooting, he was sitting on my rear pillar closest to me, chugging along at 100km/h, just waiting to get taken out.

I had to drop back and go around him. What made matters worse was that this guy wasn't a learner or P plater, he appeared to be fully licensed. I would think that anyone who wasn't hyper alert for riders (ie. riders in their cage) would have taken this guy out completely.

You need to be 2 steps ahead when you're riding. FFS. For anyone who doesn't do this everytime they jump on their bike, ride like everyone's trying to kill you and always have an exit strategy for the cars around you doing erratic things.

I think that's the only thing that's kept me alive so far. Rant over.
  2. Man that's crazy.. i try to be very aware of never being in cars blind spots.. even if it means speeding ahead to get out of it.
  3. Must be nearly spring, these concerned citizen threads are showing up everywhere.

All you have to do is signal intent. Use your blinker, headcheck, if clear then change lanes. If not clear, slow down or speed up, headcheck, change lanes when safe to do so. Cruise control does not give you the right to get annoyed if you have to adjust it on the freeway.

Maybe the biker wasn't paying attention, I know that if I am in a blind spot I either adjust my position relative to other vehicles. Sometimes it isn't possible, but I am always ready for a driver that doesn't understand blinkers aren't optional in this case.
  4. I don't know, 2am on a 3 lane road with 1 car and 1 truck to avoid. Sounds like the rider put himself in a bad spot when it could easily be avoided.

Guess we're all responsible for our own safety and Darwin sorts out the one's who can't be bothered.
  5. I couldn't care less about turning my cruise on/off.

But on an empty 3 lane highway at 2am. The best place to sit is not in the blind drivers side rear pillar of the only other car on the road. A black bike with a guy in dark gear made me headcheck twice to make sure he was actually there.

When he saw the truck come on, he should've anticipated my moving to the middle and gone somewhere else. But it's more about his choice of position, with an infinite amount of options, than my actions.

If it wasn't for me being aware that a dark bike was somewhere close, I probably would've just turned after a quick headcheck, as I imagine most other drivers would.
  6. True, that the rider could have placed himself in a better position but isn't the OP the one changing lanes? When you are changing lanes it is your responsibility to do it safely and not run other people over.

If he was silly enough to ride in your blind spot why didn't you slow down and position yourself so you can see him well before the merging truck.

It's always easier to blame other people :roll:

NB: If you have a blind spot in your car your mirrors are not position correctly and/or you need a convex mirror or similar to eliminate the blind spot. It's easier to blame the blind spot when you could have solved the problem with $2...
  7. I think the rider put himself in a bad spot. I always keep my self out of blind spots of cars when I can. On a 3 lane road its quite easy to do.
  8. It's just as easy for people to believe their own actions have no bearing whatsoever on an outcome.

Whilst i see your point, i agree with the others in why would you put yourself in a position of potential harm? If you doused yourself in petrol and someone dropped a match how could you argue that it was the other persons fault? :wink:
  9. I'm not justifying the reason I caused an accident. I know it's my responsibility to change lanes safely and that's exactly what I did.

He sped up ahead of me and dropped back into my blind spot. I was just sitting there with my cruise on, it's not my responsibility to make sure no-one's ever in my blind spot.

What am I blaming anyone for?

I'm questioning the prudence of a rider riding in the blind spot of a car, when there is absolutely no reason to do so.

You start riding in other cars blindspots, keep braying about it being the cars responsibility to see you and see how long you live. As a rider, you have to take more precautions than a car.

And what you're saying is rubbish. Every car has a blind spot, adjusting mirrors to fix that blind spot will hurt you somewhere else. Have you never heard of the concept of a headcheck?

If you don't do a headcheck in your car driving test, you fail. They don't care if you looked in a convex mirror, you fail.

Stop attacking your straw man. Everything I did was 100% correct. Legally everything he did was correct also, but only an idiot would say the riders actions were realistically the right thing to do.

Have you ever ridden a motorcycle on the road? Do a bit of reading here, you'll see SMIDSY come up a lot.
  10. I gotta side with Shounak, I'm afraid.

I wouldn't got so far as to say "(the rider) had it coming", but a point gets awarded to Shounak for trying to improve the safety and ease of a merging situation by making room for the truck, and a point gets deducted from the rider for not thinking "Hey, the guy to the left of me is about to merge with a truck, and I'm on a fast + manueverable vehicle - I might make some room so he can move over instead of having a merge".

It's just called being considerate. Thinking about the wants/needs of other road users to predict their actions and make life easier/safer for them. :p
  11. +1

Half of staying alive is to not entrust your safety to the skills of other drivers - no good lying in hospital all broken up, saying "yes but I was in the RIGHT - he didn't look!"

as my recent training instructor said "so he's in the right - but does your leg hurt?"
  12. Yes, yes the rider was a complete moron and deserves this and that and had it coming.

I never said that the rider wasn't an idiot and I understand the OP's point but what I'm trying to say it that there are a lot of idiots on the road and you cannot rely on them to do the right thing. You, yourself have to take a proactive approach to riding/driving to avoid any potential hazard.

The truck was merging into your lane, not his. You decided to change lane and it was up to you to do it safely regardless of the situation. You could have sped up or slow down to make way for the truck, but you chose to change lanes even though you had difficulty seeing the rider. If you knew he was in your blind spot and it was dangerous to change lanes why didn't you choose the other two or more options? Maybe we just think differently. I don't trust anyone else on the road or rely on them to do the right thing so i drive/ride defensively. Driver always claim to not see riders regardless of where they were positioned.

In regards to what I said about blind spot, of course you do a head check, that’s a given and I never said otherwise (you have to be a reckless idiot no to, even with 50 mirrors), but u CAN eliminate/minimise that blind spot (even for 4WD and large vans).

I’m surprise you even have a blind spot on your right side.…it’s usually the left.
  13. Mate, just what do you think I did?

I saw a truck ahead about to merge, rider beside me. So I hit the anchors, moved to the right lane, overtook them both and went on my merry way. You're suggesting I should've done exactly what I did.

I didn't merge into the rider or cause him to make any movements at all.

All I'm saying is that if I hadn't been so aware of a rider in the vicinity, I could very well have taken him out. If that was a rider sitting in my brothers blindspot, you'd probably see a thread about it now.

I've got blindspots on both sides. Always have.

My main point is that if you're in a car, driving straight along a road, all good.

But if you're a rider, unless you're scanning every intersection, every car and treating every parked car like it's about to come alive. You fail.

Legally, you're perfectly in the right. But how much assurance is that going to be to your loved ones?
  14. I understand both arguments but I have to agree with the op on this.

They claim they were the only car on a three lane stretch and the rider thinks the best place to travel is anywhere near a blindspot.

Even if the requirement for any vehicle changing lanes was to ensure they had convex mirrors, indicate, headcheck, sound their horn and send a written notice, you'd still be best guided to stay away from there.
  15. Just becuase he didnt have any L or P plates doesnt mean he was fully liscneced or experienced. I know alot of guys who have bikes who dont have bike licences. Doesnt make them expreienced> I also know alot of full licenced bikers who ride like they did on their first day.

Excuse my spelling. CBF today.
  16. Shounak, give up.

Riders can do no wrong. They are always in the right. Cagers are evil. And deserve to die.

Nooky seems to miss the irony in his statement. If a rider is in my blindspot, I can't friggin see him. Sure, I can do a quick headcheck, I might still miss him. But I have a blindspot and by definition he is hard to see.

Shounak is pointing out 'Defensive Riding - Lesson 1'. Don't place yourself where you either can't be seen or are hard to see.
  17. Could have been a Copper on an unmarked bike, for all you know.
    Why would anyone else sit off you like that?
  18. Guy on the bike was a tard.

As skeletor said "It's common courtesy". At the very least anyway. But! from a safety view it was quite stupid.

Doesn't matter if they are in a car/truck/bike/banana bus, bad drivers are bad drivers. Looks like you found one.

Road is full of them, props goto the op for at least taking notice the bike was even there. A good upside the head goes to the rider.
  19. The op did everything right end of story. He is only pointing out the folly of the rider to assume that because he is in the right legaly, he is not doing the dangerous thing. New riders need to take on board the lesson from this- right of way is not an invisible force field that will protect you from harm! Learn it live it and you reduce your risks in life not just on the road.
  20. Nooky, I don't believe you properly read the OP.