Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Some noob questions

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by nikku, Jun 1, 2006.

1. In my manual, it says to keep the fuel line turned to "off" (as opposed to on or reserve) when the bike is off. Why is this?

And is there a mechanical reason why neutral is between 1st and 2nd, or is it meant to be more useful there? Just curious :)

2. On those bikes that have an "off" setting there's nothing keeping fuel from flowing from the tank into the carbs with the engine off apart from the tap. Leave the bike sitting with the fuel tap set to on for too long and you'll flood the carbs, which means the bike won't start. Don't know about the gearbox thing - though between 1st and 2nd does seem the safest place to put neutral.
    Edit: Oh and in case you're wondering other bikes have a valve operated by engine vacuum which shuts of fuel when the engine stops - so they don't have (or need) an "off" setting.

3. What he said.

The fuel is gravity fed, unlike a car which pumps it up from the tank. So if the carbys leak you will come out to a puddle of fuel or an engine full of petrol, which is bad.

Dont know about neutral, been that way since before I was born :grin:
    Thats just how it is.

4. Er, so how long is it "too long" to leave the valve open, and how bad is bad? I might have done this. No puddles of petrol though. Hypothetically. I'm not admitting to anything though! :oops:

5.  Top
  6. So why does my ZX9R have an 'Off' position? It's never leaked fuel, or been flooded when I've tried to start it...?

7. Probably because its new and not a 25 year old dugga with leaky needle's and seats so there doing there job at the moment.