Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Some interesting commentary: speed cameras & speeding laws

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by gunissan, Feb 6, 2015.

1. The articles are too long to post in toto; click the links to read in full.

Speed kills. Speed cameras save lives. We have heard it all before. But, two-hundred and forty-nine people people died in fatal traffic accidents on Victoria’s roads last year — a 2.5 per cent increase from 2013′s figure.

This is despite a record number of fixed and mobile speed cameras deployed on roads in Victoria and around Australia.

For years, the government has been claiming that speed cameras save lives and that speed is the greatest common factor in fatal car accidents.

But with road deaths on the rise, could it be that speed cameras actually don’t save lives and in fact are contributing to our road toll by breeding poor driving practises?

DID you get booked for speeding over the January holidays? Did you feel bad about it? There is no need to.

Speed limits are too low, set by the wrong people, and police labour under the ridiculous notion that by enforcing them they can reduce road accidents.

SENATOR David Leyonhjelm is wrong when he suggests “police labour under the ridiculous notion that by enforcing them (speed limits) they can reduce road accidents” (The Daily Telegraph, Opinion, February 5).

Data managed by the NSW Centre for Road Safety suggests that in 2013, 42 per cent of those killed on our roads — 140 people — were involved in speed-related crashes. Think of their families, their friends, work colleagues and the emergency and medical staff who are all directly affected.

Mods please move if you feel it to be more relevant elsewhere.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Moved to Politics etc ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. "Data managed by the NSW Centre for Road Safety suggests that in 2013, 42 per cent of those killed on our roads — 140 people — were involved in speed-related crashes. "

Especially when their definition of speed is "moving or stationary"...statistics...just lies and more lies
  4. ' did you receive a speeding fine ? Yes ''
    do you feel bad about it ? No ..
    I just paid my tax for riding safely on the road and didn't give it a second thought
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. There is nothing bad about statistics, just as there is nothing bad about knives. Both are used every day by many people for many things, and without them our world would be much worse off.

But there is a (smaller) number of people who use them to deliberately fcuk shit up.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Almost 50% of people have below average intelligence.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Depends what kind of average you use.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. I heard 82.6% of statistics are made up on the spot?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. There are lies, dammed lies and (the worst of all)...statistics.

This bullshit about accidents being speed related drives me nuts. I do get to check out a few accident reports (not a representative sample by any means - just a part of my day job) compiled by the police investigators into vehicle accidents and it appears that they seem content to state that an accident is "speed related" if they can show that the driver was exceeding the legal speed limit at the time of the crash, which is easy to prove. So, if you stack your bike and your going 5 klicks over the limit, your accident will reported as speed being a contributing factor. This is complete and utter bullshit; what's worse, such nonsense gets incorporated into the government reports and twisted by the media.

Just because you were exceeding the speed limit at the time of your prang DOES NOT equal that the excess speed caused the crash. It may have been a causative factor, it may not have been, but assuming the two are correlated is just that. An assumption. We've all heard the phrase "Assumption is the mother of all fcuk ups"......seems the rozzers and politicos haven't! Road crashes are way too complicated with so many contributing factors (road surface, traffic density, driver fatigue/distraction/experience, vehicle performance and so on and so forth) to simply state. "Speed is the major causative factor" is missing the point and allowing an easy target for the police and road saftey types to target their efforts on speed and think to themselves "job done", when taking more of a look at other factors in crashes could have more of an impact in reducing road death and injury.

Some of you must have been to the TT on the Isle of Man - bloody brilliant, if you haven't. Save your pennies and go - beer is great as well. Anyway, those boys race at truly insane speeds around normal public roads - some really narrow and twisty roads at that. If the anti-speed nazis were telling us the truth then all of those talented lads would be in intensive care or body bags. But they aren't. Sure, you have a few bad stacks, but not the major carnage that we should expect if speed were THE major factor, like we are told.

It's the age old cause and effect trap. Only recently, in a kingdom not too far away King fcukwit Oldman decided that way too many fat, ugly chicks were getting laid and such deplorable adipose copulation behaviour was intolerable. So he passed a law that all pubs throughout the land could only serve each man 2 pints of beer per night. That way, no blokes would ever get pissed enough to bang a fat, ugly chick. So a year went by, and King Oldman was delighted when his courtiers told him that the number of fat and ugly chicks getting laid was down by a massive 75%. Except nobody in the court of King fcukwit Oldman realised that a bunch capitilist plastic surgeons had illegally entered the country and performed thousands of tummy tucks, boob jobs and face lifts. So, the reality was that there was now far less fat, ugly chicks to get bonked in the first place and the amount of fat pounding going on had nothing to do with less beer being consumed at all. Meanwhile, the demand for fat, ugly hookers soared throughout the kingdom!

Please engage brain before listening to pollies and journos.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I found photographic proof that speed cameras save lives

speed camer saves life.PNG
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. sometimes.. it is possible to tell a bit... ie damage far exceeds what would be expected, skid marks twice as long...

engine from innocent parties car ripped out and flung 20m along the road.. :D http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...hway-strathfield/story-fngr8h4f-1227207462082

they usually say "speed was a contributing factor" rather than "speed was the cause" ;)

then again, sometimes.. you can tell fairly easy that speed was a major factor :(
  12. I agree with that. if you choose your time and place, you can never ever get booked..
    ie, place with no cops, time when no cops around.

then again.. that dude that died in Victoria this morning racing bike around a car park... that was correct time and place. would he be alive if he wasn't racing around carpark? probably.. did he kill anyone else? no...
    do you care that he died, and that he probably wouldn't have died if he had been doing "the right thing"? I say his choice and lack of talent...
  13. Not to contradict your point, but it does help that the skill level is high and they are all travelling in the same direction.

What I want to know is how blokes with King-Kong-sized balls can sit astride a motorcycle at all, yet alone avoid the hedge rows at 160mph.
  14. That's my point. If I tried to ride at those speeds on that circuit, I would crash in about 5 seconds!! Speed, per se, wouldn't have caused my crash - my lack of skill and experience to handle the bike at those speeds (and lack of insight) would be the cause of the crash.
  15. what speed would 99% of our population be able to do on the TT track, with traffic in both directions?
  16. What section?
  17. Current lap record is an average speed of 132 (Bruce Anstey on a CBR1000RR) but I think the fastest section is probably St Ninnians (riders get airborne) and coming down Bray Hill, topping at up to 155. The average speed when it first started was a sedate 40, but riders still crashed and were killed.

That's miles per hour, ladies and gents.

Very impressive and talented.

There has been about 250 (competitor, not spectator) fatalities since the race started in 1907. I think the last fatality was 2013.

They still open the circuit to the public on the appropriately named Mad Sunday - couldn't tell you what speeds are done with ordinary folk riding.