Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Some help with a tough decision guys please!! :)

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by MogNo1, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Hi guys,

I'm after abit of advice on the bike to buy since I’m a noob in the world of 2 wheel transportation. I have my L license but looking to find a fully fairing bike to start off on. To my dismay they seem to be few and far between with this new LAMs system that has been introduced unless I go for a 2nd hand 250. Considering they seem to be holding their price and money isn’t an issue I've set my sights on a new bike straight out the showroom. What options do I have for a new, fully fairing, sports bike that is learner legal? Seems to me most of the options are in the other bike classes such as touring or naked or dirtbike. What is a man to do? So far I have come up with 2 options, the Suzuki GS500F and the Hyosung GT650RL. I guess for one, if you can get a larger bike than a 250 there is more room to grow and offers more flexibility till the upgrade once full license is gained. But I guess they have their pros and cons. The Suzuki GS500F is a reputable brand that looks pretty good, should hopefully retain its value and be easily sold when the time comes for a bigger bike. But it seems to be a touring bike to me and like I said, my preference is a sports bike. The Hyosung GT650RL however is a nice looking bike, with a possible exception of the headlight maybe and you have the room the get the restrictor removed for abit of power increase when I loose my L and R's. The killer with me is....Hyowhatta????? Never heard of this Korean machinery in my life. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing as with most things with a good reputation, you pay for the brand name but doesn’t mean a non big namer is a bad thing. I have also read that its quality might be somewhat dubious atleast with its front brake calipers. And the real killer, re-sale? Would I be permanently stuck with an oversize paperweight if I were to buy this thing and wanted to sell to upgrade later down the track? I realize my choices on my L's are very limited and might have to give alittle in an area here but don’t want to give too much.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hyosung aren't that unknown - the engine in the GT650R is essentially exactly the same as that used in the Suzuki SV650 and the Cagiva Raptor and was in fact developed by Hyosung. Build quality is a little bit of an unknown at the moment since they haven't been on the market long - but given the choice between a 15 year old grey import 250 sports, and a brand new Korean built 650, the decision should be pretty easy.

3. You're pretty much on the right track with your options, if you use the search function you're bound to get some answers. Believe it or not, I'd not heard of Hyos until early this year, but since then they're becoming common in Melb, most people i've spoken to are happy with them. I must say I'm partial to the GS's though. I don't think you'd get stuck either, especially buying new if that is your go.

4. I agree with JD, and the idea of LAMS is that you DON'T have to sell your bike at the end of 12 months. Don't worry about all the horror stories about Korean mechanics, they are getting better all the time, and nothing comes close in the bangs-per-buck stakes.

You can read plenty of real-life Hyosung owner reports on this forum; just search for Hyosung..

5. Korean-built doesn't have to mean poor quality... there were a couple of surveys in the US rating quality of new cars (based on numbers of reported repairs while under warranty) where some Hyundai models placed on, or near the top - far ahead of the Mercedes and BMW...

Having said that, I'd still go for GS500F.

6. Hi MogNo1

Welcome to the Forum

So where you at? If not too far from Northern Beaches, I can recommend Brian Connor - he has started sellling Hyosungs and whilst he will not bag out what he is selling, he claims no shortage of spare parts and he has got an opinion on everything relating to bikes.

I don't know much about Hyosungs but I've met a few of the Sydney guys who have them and no complaints

Ride them both good luck with it all

7. Get Suzuki GS500F.

8. Suzuki's a better bike. Forget Hyosung for another 5 years until they sort out their quality issues.

9. I've got a hyo GT650S (tourer 1/2 faired) and I'm happy with it.... infact it's just been in for its first service and has come back feeling and sounding better than ever.

there have been copious amounts of reports on hyos - some good some bad. however, they now seem to have sorted out their teething problems.

hyosung have been building bikes for about 25 years and have been involved with the production of the suzi and gagi bikes as mentioned above.

as for the hyowhat?!?!?!? well I was out the other weekend with about 20 other bikes. we all parked up in a small town for a drink stop and the 4 small boys on their pushies were all over my bike. you can always trust small boys to give their honest opinion of shiny toys - mine won that day!!! ;) ;) ;)

10. Advice: punctuation.

Bike: Suzuki

If Kwaka has a LAMS option... go with them.

... You'll soon realise that there will be about as many opinions as there are riders... sometimes a bike buys you. Try them all.

Cheers

Rob

11. Kwaka has a few.

Don't totally discount the 250s. I've got a GPX, and I've been pretty happy with it for the 18ish months I've had it. The ZZRs are very popular for a reason, and you can get ER-5s pretty cheaply, since they're running out. I even know that ricecooker is still trying to sell hers.

Honda really only has the CB and the CBR 250s as LAMS, I think.

If money's no object, you can always get a Ducati Monster, too.

12. go the hyosung, selling isnt a problem, check previous classifies on the forum, and they have sold pretty quick and at a resonable price!!

also the kawka has a LAMS, its a ER-5, problem, in much reviews, they always gave the suzy the heads up over the kawka, they are phaseing out the er-5 as well, had a check of the new replacement, er-6f, dont fall under LAMS last time i checked, if it did it would be the one to go for, LOOKS awesome:D

13. you say money is not a problem? id be getting a ducati monster !

14. I would say go to a dealer sit on a few and see which one you are most comfortable with, because performance wise they are all in roughly the same area.

15. The enter button is your friend.

16. Not a bad idea!

But I have now had a Hyosung GT250 for 9 months/16,000kms and could not be happier. The only problems I have had were left indicator stopped working [loose wire 5 min fix] and the cable to the lock on the seat came loose [10 min fix hot glue gun] besides that she is a ripper.

I ride it everday to work [120kms round trip] on freeways and splitting through city traffic in rain, wind and sunny days. I would have loved to be able to buy the 650 but no LAMS down here I am afraid.

I do like the Ducati but for the money the Hyosung is pretty bloody hard to beat. I have not heard of the problems that LOZ speaks about.

17. Not a bad idea!

But I have now had a Hyosung GT250 for 9 months/16,000kms and could not be happier. The only problems I have had were left indicator stopped working [loose wire 5 min fix] and the cable to the lock on the seat came loose [10 min fix hot glue gun] besides that she is a ripper.

I ride it everday to work [120kms round trip] on freeways and splitting through city traffic in rain, wind and sunny days. I would have loved to be able to buy the 650 but no LAMS down here I am afraid.

I do like the Ducati but for the money the Hyosung is pretty bloody hard to beat. I have not heard of the problems that LOZ speaks about.

18. I like the Ducati Monster.

19. Hi MogNo1,
    I would suggest to get a bike that you are confortable with!
    The GPX250 is a work horse and I have seen little go wrong with them.
    Just look at the sales No's for the first half of the year if I recall correctly the GPX 250 topped its class.
    Good bang for buck!

cheers

20. Yeah I guess if money is no option this would be a GREAT bike.