Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

some bad luck

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by stargirl, Jan 5, 2009.

1. I have a CBR125R 2005 over here in London.
    I went away for 2 weeks and was cleaning it yesterday- went to start it up...and nothing.
    I think the battery has gone flat...again!
    Could not get the stupid bolt out to take the battery to the dealer to charge...
    Could not get my bike taken to dealer for 50 pounds as the guy's van is broken...
    So I walked my bike 3.5Kms to the dealer! Down London streets. Let's hope it is ready to go by Tuesday!

Thank god my bike is so little. Thank god the dealer is so close.

How far has anyone else had to push their bike before?
  2. For a flat battery I'd push start it... but for running out of fuel yes...
    Since you're from Melb, you'll know the Eastern fwy exit after Chandler, Burke Road, I was able to ride the bike just to the top of the exit.
    I then pushed up burke road, then down into Ivanhoe east, where i was asking where i could find a petrol station. Luckily someone offered to give me a lift as it was another km or so to push.
    The PITA of it all, was that I'd just gone shopping for a summer jacket, so i had both a summer and winter jacket on at the same time... :shock:
  3. I think part of the provisional riding course should be a lesson and then a test on clutch-starting your motorcycle.
  4. You could buy a battery charger and charger it yourself without taking the battery out. However you still need to unbolt the connection
  5. Yup. Having said that I have never succeeded in bumpstarting the Kat from dead cold solo. Just too much drag in the clutch.. and too tricky to coordinate the whole shift into first drop the clutch keep pushing thing perfectly. If its only one day cold or I have a helping hand or enough hill its not a prob.
  6. Better to shift into second or even third, I think. And I personally tend to want to push hard then jump on, change gear and drop the clutch - don't wanna have the bike catch and get away from me!
  7. (maybe this means I flunk that test)

(on a smaller bike I'd be happy to start it while pushing alongside, but the Bandit is big and heavy enough, and quick enough when it ignites, that I'd use the procedure outlined above)
  8. On My Old SR250 I seized the engine while doing 110kph. Once I got the bike stopped and my heart rate slowed bellow a million BPM I started pushing it. I couldn’t tell you how far exactly but it was a few k’s before I found a farmer with a ute who gave the bike and I a lift into town. Oh that was a fun day… NOT! :mad:
  9. Many years ago, I was leaving a mate’s house following a boozy weekend, and discovered that my horrible CZ 250 had reacted to being parked in the rain by putting its brake light on and flattening its battery. Again.

Raining. Dark. 11pm. Work in the morning and about 10 km from home with no money and no public transport running anyway. Lights in mate’s house very firmly off for the night.

Frantic kicking doesn’t get so much as a cough from the bike, although the after effects of a hangover result in some interesting displays of purple dots. Try a push start, but on level ground I can’t get the thing moving fast enough for the feeble dynamo to both feed a hungry battery and give the coils enough volts to fire a cold two stroke.

I start pushing. There’s nothing else to do.

After a couple of kms I reach a turn off that I know leads to a nice steep downhill slope. It takes me off my carefully planned level route home but the gamble is tempting. Lid on, jacket zipped, fuel on, lights off, carby tickled, hook second ignition on and I paddle over the crest and rapidly gather speed with the clutch pulled. At about 30 mph I drop the clutch and the engine spins fast enough to get some juice to the coils. The left hand pot coughs and fires, I open the throttle to bring the right hand side to life and she’s running, the gorgeous little Czech.

Then I put the lights on. Glowworms though they are, they sap the dynamo’s entire output and, before I can rectify my mistake, the engine stutters and dies again.

Now I have a dead bike and I’m surrounded by lengthy 20% climbs in all directions.

I pick the shallowest slope and start pushing again, pausing every 20m or so to enjoy the resurgent displays of purple dots. About halfway up, I’ve had enough and, after a brief rest to be sick in the gutter, I turn round for one last do-or-collapse-in-a-twitching-heap effort to get the little bastard running again.

Starting drill repeated, I put everything into a run and jump to give myself the best possible chance of success. However, the effort is rather negated when I discover, halfway down the available slope, that I haven’t switched the ignition on. Frantic fumbling with the keys ensues and I get it all together just in time, with the engine finally bursting into life at the very bottom of the dip.

Of course, riding home across a major city sans lights would be an incredibly stupid, dangerous and irresponsible thing to do, but at the time it seemed preferable to another visit from the dots. So I did.
  10. Great stories!!

Mine is so weak- but I felt so proud I could do it anyway! :)
    I had one double decker bus driver give way to me at a pedestrian crossing and laugh at me. And one nice old bloke who helped me push it up the one and only hill.

There isn't really enough room anywhere near where I live to do a push start. And I am too n00b for anything else bar turning a key and pushing a button!

It snowed today too! So I might have been to scared to ride it to work anyway.
  11. I'd just done something with the carbies and got the bike back together, and I was in a rush for uni. Bike wouldnt start, so I tried to bump start it down our hill. I got to the bottom and thought "oh crap", I had to walk it home and open it up.

Turns out the choke cables were hooked around something, I put them back where they were meant to go and the bike started fine. Man I felt silly.