Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Some advise on Learners.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by grunter, Apr 19, 2006.

1. l'm going for my learners on the 29th and 30th of April (VERY EXCITED!!!) at HART in Tullamarine. Can anyone give me some advise on what to expect from the two day course?

Cheers,
    Grant.

2. Hi grunter.... your not a chick are you???

Anyway, you can expect to ride motorcycles and learn the very basics on how to do it properly, you can expect to be bored shitless with the videos, you can expect to have a good time, you should expect to get your license at the end of it!

3. You'll be taught basically everything from how to start the bike to the very basics of riding, i did my learners at hart in tulla and the guys there are really good.

You'll have to do a written test at the end as well so make sure you read the book and listen to everything they say because they give you hints about the questions.

good luck with the test

4. I reckon you can expect to wish you only did the single day. Youll be bored shitless!

5. Hi Grunter, The guys at HART are great, just relax, have fun and take in as much as you can cos the stuff they teach you along the way is gold when you get out there on the road.
    Oh and welcome to the forum!

6. i did my learners at HART and my license at Rider Bros. i have since recommended Rider Bros to many. they teach really well and dont put too much pressure on you. at HART the learners test was really hyped up. oh test oh test. made it worse. at riders, it was very relaxed and focused more on teaching you skills than passing the test.

but HART is better in terms of roadcraft. and that really matters if you are not used to being on the road either driving or on a pushie. those videos are actually quite useful.

both have great instructors so thats not an issue.

also read up on roadcraft in the vic roads riders books. for future reading, check out the bikepoint website, thats also pretty useful.

7. Hi Grant,

I did my L's at hart late last year. Just the one day course.

If you turn your blinkers on and off at the right times you will be fine and if you get the chance, give crap to the people on the scooters from your mighty CB, that will help to pass the time.

Its really not that hard. Give the handbook a once over and remember that when on a ride with 8 or more riders, it is better to be in two groups, not one :wink: .

**Note** This post is no way intended to bag scooters or CB's. Any percieved use of sarcasm is intirely in the readers head. I can't spell.

8. :LOL: :LOL: I need something like this in my sig.

Grant, just relex and have a great time. You don't need to know anything before you get there. They'll tell you about it and teach you everything on the day. Just read the book a few times, turn up and havce some fun. :)

9. Cheers to all that have replied, a very friendly welcome!!! :grin:

10. [Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:45 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i did my learners at HART and my license at Rider Bros. i have since recommended Rider Bros to many. they teach really well and dont put too much pressure on you. at HART the learners test was really hyped up. oh test oh test. made it worse. at riders, it was very relaxed and focused more on teaching you skills than passing the test.

but HART is better in terms of roadcraft. and that really matters if you are not used to being on the road either driving or on a pushie. those videos are actually quite useful. ]

my g/f did learners at Rider boys but we felt it was sausage machine, she barely learnt to ride. I had to explain the roadcraft info to her as they watched a video and that was all there roadcraft. it was pretty much only the info to pass, no wonder she still hasn't ridden :mad:

Today i booked her in for a try out session at HART's open day this weekend if it helps maybe a demo ride out on the road, but we'll see.

rev
    [/quote]

11. Welcome Grant, you'll get lost of help from the pros out there, and lots of advice from the amateurs in here :LOL:

12. Hey Grant,

Did my the 2 day course at HART tulla at the start of this month. Only advice I can give is to listen to what the instructors tell you. The whole thing is a lot of fun. I've never really ridden a bike until I rocked up there and by the end of day one I could say that I knew the basics.

Second day involves more than starting and stopping, like turning in a tighter radius as well as riding slowly, emergency braking. They give you enough practice on the bike and they actually let you practice what's going to be in the riding test several times.

Read through the learners book, several times if you have to, from memory I think there were 32 questions for the test and you can only get 6 wrong (i got 4 wrong)

The guys there are really friendly and easy going, ask em questions if things are unclear. As previously mentioned they do give hints on certain things that will be on the test.

I'm now happily riding a VTR250 for just over three weeks!

GOOD LUCK AND RELAX YOU'LL BE OK! :)

13. Cheers typezero for the advise! :grin:

14. Woohoo! l passed. Was nervous as hell before the actual riding test, l stalled the bike a few times and even put my feet on the ground and to boot it was pi$$ing down rain, time to go shopping! :grin:

15. Congratulations :biker:

16. Well done..... what sort of bike are you gonna get ?

17. To be honest l'm gonna borrow a friends Vespa for the time being as for 250's, l don't know what l want!

18. Congrats Grant *Hi FIVE*

Be safe and patient out there!

:)

19. Hey thanks typezero, yer went for my first ride last night, it was on a vespa, hehehe, it was great to be on the road, even got to do some night riding, very different compared to day time!