Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Sold] 1997 Kawasaki ZR250 Balius LAMS

Discussion in 'Archived' started by krapski, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 krapski, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    Hey everyone,

I moved to Melbourne a couple of months ago, selling my CBR250R in Sydney in the process. Bought this as a cheap stop-gap until my P's were done. They're done; I've moved up and I don't have room for two bikes in my garage. So:

1997 Kawasaki Balius ZR250
    Received a major service when the P.O traded it in at 56,500km
    - New front and rear sprockets
    - New chain
    - New discs and pads front and rear
    - New cam chain tensioner
    - All fluids / filters changed
    - Valve clearances checked
    - Carbs tuned
    Pirelli Sports Demon tyres at about 75-80% front and rear
    Registered to August 16 2014

Honestly, I've been really happy with this bike, and if it wasn't for buying something bigger for two-up touring and running out of garage space, I'd hold onto it as a commuter and/or scratching bike. It's had some pretty thorough work done recently and runs great. It handles like every little 250: light, nimble, fairly easy on gas, yadda yadda.

The biggest plus, though, is that it's a bit of a screamer. For a LAMS bike, it's got some poke.

Below 7,000 rpm, it's a pretty sedate commuter - but the redline's all the way up at 18,500, and you'll know it when you're flinging it through some country roads. At that end of the tacho the lil Balius is surprisingly punchy - comparable to a CBR250RR with more comfortable ergos - and it's so small that throwing your weight around on it pays big dividends. It's a lot more fun and responsive than my 2011 CBR250R was, that's for sure, and reminds me a bit of trackdays I've done on a mate's MZ Skorpion. ie: doesn't look like much, but it's a blast to ride.

The low, plush seat is also a plus for shorter riders. (Not that I'd know from experience - I'm 6'2 and I fit it ok).

There's a bit of damage from the previous owner - a small tear in the passenger seat (taped, pictured - feel free to check under the tape), and a minor crack in the rear fairing. Otherwise, it looks great for its age.

Maintenance wise, it shouldn't need anything but oil changes for a good, long time, and just FYI, these bikes share a lot of parts with the ZX-2R, so although the bike itself is rare, parts availability isn't a nightmare.

Bike's in North Melbourne, text me (0411 093 153) or PM for an inspection.

Selling to Netriders registered without RWC for $2,500. Happy to get a RWC at buyer's expense. It passed no problems in January so that won't be an issue.

IMG_7428. IMG_7429. IMG_7432. IMG_7433. FILE0329.
  2. Deposit taken.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.